• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shocking Crawlers

Vexipro

I have a homemade one also and I usually plug it in and do yardwork in the area or play with the dogs to pass the time and come back 10-15 minutes later and check on it my uncle showed me how to make one when I was 10 saves a ton of money on crawlers another trick is take a bucket of soapy water and dump it on the ground and they will come crawlin up NO JOKE!

(must be original dawn dish soap)

I'm from Chicago and this thread caught my husband's attention because I had told him about it. When I was a kid (back in the 60's & 70's) my Dad and his Uncle Bob used to harvest worms with a "prod rod". Uncle Bob made one for each of them and I remember Uncle Bob having an area to the side of his garage where he sprinkled coffee grounds and cultivated the earth, strictly for the purpose of attracting/growing better worms. I have to say that to this day I am totally delighted to see an extremely large night crawler. Must have rubbed off on me, as I had the job of putting the worms in a coffee can.

Daryl's Wife - Cathy

I believe this thread is more dangerous to a kid than a bloddy fish picture wink.

I agree with you on that statement. I hope no one goes out and tries this without knowing what they are doing with electrcity. 120v is enough to hold you until you are good and smoking. Please be careful and if you try it, make sure you have some supervision.

You're probably right, I guess some things are not meant for everyone, & disclaimers & liability have become a way of life.

For those unsure of themselves, you better go with the soapy water deal. Don't get it in you're eyes though! Just kidding. smile I guess I didn't really see the real danger as we've been doing this since we were kids, but we had an adult there & yes, you bump the rod with you're arm, you feel it. Just like working with something HOT, if it hurts when you do that, don't do that. L2f

Ya- with the torrential down pour last night i just went out and walked up and down the gravel road for a couple or 3 hours and got half an ice cream pail full. Probably about 300-400. Should keep me busy for a couple trips at least wink

Ya I must have gotten a few hundred as well. Easy pickens last night.

I will just keep doing it the old fasion way. Im not walking on wet ground with spikes in it that are hooked up to any electric.

Walking the blacktop after that rain was real productive. My dad and I would put a piece of RED plastic over the lense of a bright flashlight.

This seemed to really slow thier retreat back in the hole. It works real well.........Try it ....Good luck picking ><)))*>

I also use a red light, it does help. Another trick is to keep a container of dry worm bedding to rub your fingers in now & again, making your grip on the crawlers a little better when they start getting slippery, especially if your doing it in a light rain. L2f