• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Fishing from a Canoe

My dad and I are doing a float trip on the flambeau for a couple days this week and it will be my first time fishing for muskies out of a canoe. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for landing fish, figure eight/what to do on follows, and other things to keep in mind.

Thanks

I can't help you too much but I've wondered the same thing as I only have a canoe. Had a nice tiger on a metro lake last year while crappie fishing - bit me off before we could land her though. Figure 8s are tough, very tough. As is landing a very large fish. I'd recommend a water release if you get into a nice big one

I know people that have fished the Flambeu and done real well, you should have a great time.

I have a friend that fished quite a bit for skies from a kayak, and he caught at least 5, no kidding. Biggest landed was 41" but he also had one for sure over 50" get off as it was being landed. Length of fight was no problem at all, and he also had no problem landing them by hand while sitting in the yak. But I would recomend if in a canoe to be able to get to shore fast and jump out in the water to land them and to make it easier to hold the fish in the water while unhooking and measuring. Also know I guy who has caught many skies from a canoe fishing lakes biggest being 45", some of them sort of figure eighting he said. Just make sure you practice ahead of time. Make sure you have a wide canoe and I personally always stand in them while fishing, never once flipped it. Its really amazing how stable the are, but still be careful. Make sure you have all the standard release tools like a good pliers, mouth spreader, and hook cutter and think about going barbless with trebles, and you should be ready to go.

I just started a thread in the canoe kayak thread, wondering the exact same thing. How the heck do you land a big fish in those little boats.

I am leaning toward a lipper and water release.

I've caught some really big Esox out of my Wenonah canoe. Best thing I can tell you is to play the fish out in deeper water, and when it seems to be tired, head for shore and land it there. Too much can go wrong with trying to land or unhook a big fish in a canoe out in deeper water. You're pretty much pinned down (seated or kneeling) and not able to move a whole lot.

Figure eights are tough, but you gotta at least try. A longer pole helps you to go deeper and farther away from the canoe. My personal opinion is that river fish are more likely to eat and not follow, and if they do follow, a larger percentage seem to be willing to eat on the "8" than in the lakes.

I also use the canoe alot just for "transportation" on the river, and get out and wade fish alot of likely looking spots...downed trees, eddy holes, current breaks, etc.

I recently bought a used jon boat. I just like standing up way too much when musky fishing, and the canoe hampers me just a little...hooksets get a bit dangerous!

Good luck

thanks for the tips guys, unfortunatly we didnt have the thrill of landing a musky in the canoe. we raised some fish and had a few really hot follows, but we had a hard time getting fish to bite. figure eighting was quite difficult and i even pulled my swimbait out of about a 40" fishes mouth because of a bad figure eight. it was still a good time and definetly a learning experience.

p.s. kevlar canoes arent quite as sturdy as those old aluminum ones!

Hey fishcast,

I think I might have talked to the guy you know who has caught a bunch of fish from a canoe. If you don't mind, whats your email? If its the same guy, I'd like to try and talk with him a little.