• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tracker-wet ride

Huskie

Question

I replaced my 70 HP with a rebuilt 100HP Johnson on my 17 1/2 foot tracker magna fish. I thought by getting a bigger motor the bow of the boat would get up higher in the water at high speeds. Still plows too much even when I adjust the trim. What am I missing here, would a different prop help or is there some other adjustment I can make, thanks,

8 answers to this question

I am thinking the angle of the motor isn't quite right. When you trim the motor up, is it staying up? Maybe the hydrolic resevior isn't holding pressure and the motor comes back down. If it doesn't hold strong, the motor will come all the way back down when you are running as it puts a bunch of stress on the trim components. Is the boat getting up on plane fine? What kind of RPMs where you running?

We run a Targa 17' single console with a 60 and its a verry dry ride. Sounds like the same issues I have had with my Alumacraft, I moved my batteries to the rear shifting the weight and that has helped alot. Its a 17' 6 walk thru also with a 70 on it.

I do have the trolling motor up front with the battery and a power anchor also, that adds some weight I'm sure. It gets up on plane fine, running close to 5000 rpm's, just can't get the bow up out of the water at higher speeds as much as I would like. Not sure how the motor should be mounted, when I made the 70 to 100 trade, the shop should have known what they were doing, maybe I'll have someone else take a look. thans.

Put a 4' straight edge against the bottom of the boat stern to bow with one end of the straight edge at the transom. It should be relatively straight. If you have a big gap, there is your problem. Its called a "hook" and there is not much you can do about it other than send it back to the factory to have it repaired. Improperly adjusted roller trailers are the biggest culprit causing this but it is not unheard of a boat coming out of the factory with this condition.

Email direct if you have any questions.