• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best camping pads?

SWMuskeye

Question

I have a BWCA trip coming up in June and I haven't purchased a camping pad in the past. Since I don't want misery this year I want to add a little cushion.

Can anyone recommend a fair-priced pad that doesn't take up too much room and packs light?

What are your thought on the different sizes? Self inflating vs. egg-foam types?

thanks for the replies.

6 answers to this question

SWmuskie, I've got 2 of the Thermarest self-inflating pads and I think they are great. There are a couple other brands out there that are just as good. Big Agnes, Pacific Outdoor and REI brand all make good pads too.

I haven't been to the Roseville REI store, but they should still have a selection of pads to look at and try. If its not that impressive take the time to hit the Bloomington REi. Its the biggest one in the cities. They have all of the mats there for you to inflate, deflate, lay on, pack down etc.

I have a 4 season pad because I do some winter camping too, but I like it alot because it does have more padding. Don't be afraid of trying the thinner 1.5" and 1.75" pads. They still provide lots of padding and a huge savings on weight and bulk size.

I've got Thermarest and no complaints. However there a thicker self insulators then mine. Still on even ground my hips and shoulders seem to have enough cushion.

Bulk and weight are an issue on a canoe trip. Closed cell 3/4 length pads work well there.

I've also got a thermarest. They are very nice, I have slept on it for about 2.5 weeks last fall. It's easy to pack, light weight, but a little pricey. But if your canoeing, you will like the lightweight design.