• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Optimal GPS for Ice Fishing

Cove

Question

I use a nice but small gps for ice fishing, Garmin 76CSx. During open water I have a nice, big screen, Lowrance LCX-19c, which also employs a LakeMaster ProMap Electronic Chart Chip. I would like a system for ice fishing where I could take advantage of nice contour maps to help me find spots.

Got any recommendations?

9 answers to this question

The GPSMap76CSx you have has that capability. Check out Garmin's HSOforum for their MN lakemaster software. You can select the map areas you wish and download them to your 76. Easy as pie.

Bob

Can you go with a Lowrance hand held and use the Lakemaster setup you have for your LCX-19? I'm thinking there's a problem trying to use a Garmin lakemaster chip in a lowrance product and vice versa - I could be wrong about this but when you buy the chip they ask you which unit you have.

Thanks for the comments folks. My Garmin 76CSx uses the micro chip whereas the Lowrance uses the full sized SD plus I think you want the chip that is set up to run with Lowrance products.

I like my little 76CSx but the screen is kind of small.

I am wondering how it would be to get the Lowrance LMS 522c which would use the same SD card as my LCX 19c so I could use one card for both open water and ice fishing. Plus the LMS 522c is also a sonar and when my son is home and we go ice fishing I only have my Vexilar FL-20. Get spoiled ice fishing and want my own unit. Any comments on ice fishing with the 522c would be welcome.

I had a similar dilemma a few months ago. I couldn't find a hand held that I liked. I went with the Lowrance XOG, which they classify as a "crossover" GPS. Supposed to be a cross between the standard vehicle navigation, and a hand held. The touch screen with the contour maps is great.

I have been 110% satisfied with my purchase. The only bad thing is something that I knew of in advance, which is a short battery life. For me, it doesn't matter because it will either be in my truck when I'm driving on the lake, or plugged into an ATV. I do have a hand held for hunting, and this unit probably would not replace it for that.

Ive ice fished with my 332, same thing only different wink

works great!, I bought the ice ducer from LEI and not the ice package, I made my own "holder"

btw, I have since bought a 522 and will be using it instead for the gps without the puck on the snowmobile.

Lip_Ripper Guy,

Thanks for the comment on the XOG. I tune out of the market for just a few years and all these new products have popped up. I am also thinking of a GPS for my Jeep so the "crossover" is tempting. I am trying to imagine how having a touch screen for on the ice use. How short is the batter life? I imagine on the ice I would use it to get to a spot and to mark spots but not have it turned on constantly.

Minneman,

So you got the 522 solely as a gps. That is an endorsement, I would say. I started out thinking mainly of gps function but then had the thought that for a little more I would have a second portable sonar for ice fishing when my son is home. I have a Vex Fl-20 and just wonder what ice fishing with the 522 would be like.

no, not soley for gps, but It can double as protable gps/locator on my sled for mobility.

The 332 is identical in display as the 522, but needs the puck for the gps. you wont be disapointed with the 522's performance on the ice.