• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead Head Paint

I just started molding my own jigs and it's time to start painting them. I was wondering what the pros and cons are for using a vinyl paint vs. an enamel paint. Mostly I was thinking of using vinyl colors and an enamel clear coat. Not sure though. Any thoughts?

Thanks. I just may give the powders a shot. Your jigs turned out very nice. Curious, did you clear coat after adding the 'eyes' and stipes? Can't wait to get started. I will be bringing my hand crafted jigs to Canada this June to see if the fish up north like eating them as much as I like making them.

On a side note, I did paint around a dozen 1/8 oz.'ers by dipping them in a wet vinyl paint and then a vinyl clear coat. Problem I see is that when they get warm, they stick together. I thought a harder enamel finish, clear coat, might prevent that.

I use a white powder for a base coat on all of my jigs, then use the CS Coatings Quick dips to change the colors from there, I then tie on the bodies and tails and then add a coat of CS Coatings Seal-Coat to the top, and have yet to have any problems with jigs chipping or sticking together.

My friend and I started molding and selling jigs on our HSOforum about a month ago. After trying various different paints vinyl water base and many others I got to the Pro Tec Powder paint and found it to work fantastic. Just heat the jig up over a candle flame dip and tap off on the side of the jar. reheat slightly until you get a watery coat and you are good to go. It is fast drying and effective. I have some pics on my HSOforum but dont want to go through the trouble of putting them on here.

Good Luck with your new found joy!

PS After you get the jigs down you will be guaranteed to want to start making more stuff like hair jigs and flies and the like! I just started doing flies and it is a bit frustrating at first but im sure its just like everything else... practice, practice and more practice...

Later,

Ryan

Well, I picked up some of the pro-tec powder coat, and LOVE it. Produced a nice, hard, shiny coat on the 1/8 oz'ers we painted. Very easy to use and the results are fantastic. I will probably not use anything but powders from now on. Unless I cant find the colors I want in the pro-tec line.

I still need to find something to clear coat the ones that have already been painted with the vinyl. Looking for suggestions on a finish coat that would produce the same desired results of the powder coats. Hard and shiny.

And yeah, Ryan, I have already started thinking about tying my own hair jigs. Flu-flus and maramoos and the like, with hair, feathers, and everything else. I'll admit, I am addicted to making lures.

Thanks for all the info.

Hey Guys, FYI - the company Pro Tec has WAY MORE COLORS than what you see on the shelf at your local store. Call them and ask for a catalog. You will be surprised at the number of colors they carry. I have also bought larger qauntity containers from them if you have a favorite color... I have been finding myself mixing colors and coming up with wild recipes. For example - I one of my favorite go - to's is a olive colored jig. Its a misture of yellow and blue.

Good luck

Bobb-o, I have the CS seal coat. If you say the jigs won't stick together after a day in the sun, I'll give it a shot for those painted with vinyl. It will be the tests in the boat and in the water which will help decide whether or not I use it again.

I powdered another 2 dozen last night. I think I got the hang of it now.

CRF, their HSOforum says they won't sell to non-licensed wholesalers or manufacturers. I've seen the product list, those colors look great. Just gotta figure out how to get them.

Glad you like the powder paint! I tried the oven trick which is supposed to harden them but it ended up ruining a dozen perfectly good jigs! I put them in for 20 minutes on 350 like they say and all my paint ran down to the bottom of the jig and some even dripped back off! I guess its a lesson learned to never do that again! Just started tying a few flies maybe I will post some pics of them later but that is very addicting too. think I will start selling a few of them as well just to try to break even on the deal!

Good luck with your new addiction!!!

Ryan

Check your oven temp with a oven thermometer (not one thats built in to your oven) sounds like your heat was way to hot. You need to bake them or the paint won't last worth a darn. Its all trial and error, once you get it down you just repeat it!

I was able to find all the powder colors I wanted at the St. Cloud G.Mtn. They are more expensive than Sportsman's but when you got 'em and the other guys don't I guess you can charge more. whistle

Anyway, happy painting.

wallyeyes, if you are looking for even more of the pro-tec powder paints, check out the do-it jig mold HSOforum, they offer the complete line of powder paints, lures dips and seal coatings. Little more spendy than your local store but they are worht it for some of those hard to find colors like watermelon flake and green pumpkin

Powder paints are a little tricky. Each color has its own cure temp. I will save you some trouble. Black and white run easily. A few of the glow colors run easily. The temp you put the paint on is the most critical. 325 works the best for me. If you have paint in the jig eye there is too much paint. They will drip when you cure them. If your jig is fuzzy and the eye of the jig is open your chances of cureing them without dripping is good (then hit them with a heat gun to flow out the powder). I still like to cure my black and white jigs upright instead of hanging them just in case. I cure my jigs at 225 for 25 minutes then turn the oven to 350 for 6 minutes. This has worked well for me with all colors. Good luck. I have been doing some electrostatic painting now. That is really interesting. Never a drip.