• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mercury vs Suzuki

snowfighter

Going to trade for 60hp Mercury or Suzuki both EFI's, have been around the Mercurys and heard alot of good about the Suzuki's. One difference is Mercury has a 5 year warrant and Suzuki a 3. Anyone have a first hand experience with either, pros and cons?

They're both good motors in my opinion. There are more mercury dealers in the upper midwest than there are suzuki dealers.

But, if the warranty is 5 years on the Merc I'd be inclined to go that way. 2 years of warranty is a big deal (not that you're hopefully need it) in my opinion.

marine_man

If your talking 4-stoke motors then I would lean towards suzuki. I might be biased but I own a 90 hp Suzuki. Mine had the 3+3 warranty coverage and an exteneded warranty price might make them equal. Dealers have told me that the Suzuki is the only 4-Stoke with mulit-ported direct injection in each cylinder so they get a cleaner burn and a quiet smoother running outboard. Dealers have told me that if you idle or troll a Mercury 4-stoke for a long time, then fuel will end up in the oil resevoir so rap them up after a long idle to burn it off. Also, Suzuki makes the johnson 4-stoke outboards. My 90 hp will backtroll below 1.2 mph with a 21P stainless prop, and I can stand still with any wind. Older mercs will idle faster.

The first thing to remember is what dealer you are talking to. My last outboard was a merc 60/4 stroke on a Tuffy exox magnum. Trolled all the time and never once in the 5 yrs that I owned it did it give me a problem.I changed the oil and filter as per the manufactures recomendations and it never failed to start when I turned the key.

The only reason I don't still have it is because I moved to a bigger boat and sold the whole rig.

prior to that I owned 3 other mercury's and again never a sungle issue with any of them

for the most part I belive that the manufactures all make fairly reliable motors...the key being how you choose to maintain them.

Was just taking to a person off the forum and he cames even though they are both good motors the Suzuki is quieter and will troll slower, not to say the Mercury trolls fast or noisy, not trying to start a war. I think trolling speed depends alot on the size of boat there on. I have a 1675 Lund Explorer which weights 960 #

I'm going on my third season with a 60hp Suzuki, no problems.

The 60hp is the same block as the 70hp, it's a strong motor with plenty of displacement. And as they say, "There's no replacement for displacement". smile

With no historical brand loyalty, I researched motors online for over three years before I made the purchase. My findings were that the guys who ran 'zuki's, loved 'em. The negative postings were almost non-existent, and you know how people are, they'll for sure complain online about someting long before they'll praise it.

Only negatives would be a smaller network of dealers to service the motor. But those numbers seem to be increasing as the years go by, I'm seeing more and more of the "other black motors" around.

As for the warranty, a couple more years of warranty would be nice.But I tend to buy things where in my opinion the chances of the warranty coming into play are slim. Or else I'd be driving a Hundai(10 yr) rather than my yoda (3 yr). laugh

I run it on a Alumacraft Navigator 165 tiller, can troll down to 2.0 or so, even slower in reverse. It's super quiet at idle, a buddy dropped my boat in at the ramp, got out of the truck and wanted to hear me fire up the motor, I smiled and told him it was already running. wink

Better check with the Suzi dealer , on checking another site I notice that their Gimmie six warranty is good through May 30 on motors 40hp thru 300 hp

If you have a Honda dealer close by, maybe that's another option for you. They are offering a 5yr warranty thru 6/30/08.

[note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again. thanks]

Otherwise another vote for the Suzuki. I have the 90hp four stroke and couldn't be happier.

DB

I also researched them both last year. Both good motors, but I rarely read anything negative with the Suzuki's. They seem to be more popular out on the coasts (salt water), but I'm seeing them more and more around here. Dealer network seems to be growing each year. That was my main concern also. I don't think they are making the Johnson's anymore, but did in the past. Might be wrong on that.

I've got a Suzuki 140 DF (4 stroke) on a 175 tourney pro. I've trolled with it in 4-6 ft of water longlining raps dead calm water at 2.0 - 2.2 mph. Throw down the bow mount and kicker and down to 1.8 if I need to. I feel caught more fish (maybe it was just the nite) than I would have using my bow mount electric or my T8 kicker. Very quite motor.

Previous poster was correct, Suzuki has a promo right now that offers a 6 yr warranty. Don't know specifics, but would be worth looking into. Suzi,IMO.

Most importantly though, go with who you feel you'll get the best service from. I believe you're buying more than a brand of motor,you're also buying service and peace of mind down the road. I'd rather but a good motor with good service than the best motor with questionable service department. IMO. good luck.

Anybody know where suzuki's are made? Obviously a foriegn company but thought maybe they have a production line in the U.S. Something to consider as I know my Merc was made in the U.S. in Wisconsin a big must in my book.

I'd have to agree.....the most important part is having a quality dealer with service available. Just my opinion, but I believe all the major manufactures make quality motors right now.

I'm running a Suzuki DF175 on a 185 Tourney Sport. Quiet, smooth, and plenty of power.

Also a motor can only be as reliable as it's warranty all moving parts will fail with time. It's the warranty and dealer that takes care of you after that that's important. Like everyone said I am sure they are both quality motor's as most are.