• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brook Trout

hector00

Where is the best area in southeast minnesota where a person has a chance of catching atleat a 16" brook trout. I have been fishing the area for 20 years and I have caught thousands of brookies but can't get anything bigger than a 12 incher.

Couldn't tell ya, I've seen some huge ones over in Wisconsin though. Good luck getting anybody to even cough up a creek name or even a county to start lookin in smile

big trout in the cannon, eh? I know the little cannon has trout, but i've never fished either of them. Marginal trout water always seems to have the biggest fish though

You'll have a hard time keepin the smallies off but when ya get one you'll be suprized.If ya fish it float it and fish every stream,brook that enters it.On inspecting the streams that enter it I've seen brookies 4-7 lbs.But I spent lots of time there!!

Probably mid to late summer when everyone else gave up!I spent LOTS of time wandering those hills since bout 1961,I saw mountain lions down there in 63 no one believed me till the kinneys from the store in egglestrom saw it! also pretty much grew up there right where the nuck plant is.Now I dont get there as much as I want and too many people,trout brook was my fav.Do you remember when some outdoor club raised trout in the swimming pool in CannonFalls and released them in to the Cannon?? One night we raided it while in highschool got rainbows and brookies 3-8 lbs Great BBQ.HaHa

Awesome, so you never hunted on the resi land then! they want a bike path right down eggleston trail, that will definetly change the area from what you are used too. Did you go to hastings or red wing for school at all?

Redwing for school but moved when the land was forcibly taken for the nuck plant,And yes Duck hunting,I never seen anywhere better!Muskrat lake,Deer right out the door,a few pheasants,When I was young I always had starting BB gun at 8 a crossman 22 cal pellet and at 10 a 22 rifle we where always shooting and supported out heavy habit by shooting gophers at a nickel each but a box of 22s was $.35 cents.We were in the Vermillion by etter LOTS,all the back waters by dam 3 where there was a park with a water pump at the turn bout 3-4 blocks before the dam,Where one of the Childes lives now,I visit now days once every 2-3 years.Ya ever walk into rattling Springs? either from old Kinneys Store or the RR bed from Etter?? Great Morel hunting there if your interested,Great Squrrel woods also.

trolled by rattling and a few others last week. I stomp all around where you used too. I hope for a good morel year, but it may be july! Vermillion goes through my back yard... about a 8 iron from deck. My grandpa comes from a family of 8 brothers that lived on Isabelle in cowtown, so you probably pushed many birds back and forth and fished near some of them and some uncles a few times. If you ever happen to find time down here, it would be pretty cool to meet up and show what has changed and maybe show that ole honey hole. Neat to know some of your background comes from my neck of the woods.

Sounds like you know my backyard pretty well.I hike around down there a few times a week.Been watching an eagles nest with young all spring now...pretty cool.I do not doubt the sighting of a mountain lion down there.Saw an animal once that just looked too big to be a coyote....although there are lots of them also.Lots and lots of wild land for creatures to hide down there.

atop of the falls, in hastings. Have not been to belle in a while, ice fished a couple resivoir ponds on it in the last couple winters. It can be very fun in and around ALL of those hills from Hastings, to RW, to cannon falls. You were lucky to be around here when the fishing and hunting was dynamite, now it can be mediocre at best some times.

where would you put in to start floating? I LOVE floating a river and taking hikes up the feeder streams. IN fact its one of my favorite things to do, ever.

a few good stoping and starting points on the stream. It really depends on what part you want to fish, how long you will want to be out there. most common trips are probably cannon falls to trout brook; and another is welch to hwy 61 bridge. water right now is still on the high and fast side, should be perfect in the next few weeks.

No I dont.But with all the stone quarries along the old rail beds I'd guess that purpose.The church on the hill above trout brook,if ya walk down that old road you'll find one with whats left of buildings,Or walk up the cannon trail from trout brook.I found something about that area once and cant remember?? Maybe a old plaque or sign there something?? Explore it its fun.

good question for grandpa... I would bet it just got out dated by cars. there was a good fish fly hatch recently; fishing was very very poor today. 4 eyes, 3 smallies, and some stripers

I've been fishing brookies since I was a kid with my dad in northern WI (sorry can't say the spots...it's like giving up your morel patches).I've caught over 80 Brookies (all native) this season with the majority in the 9-12 inch range. Last year a caught a 15" that I was tempted to put on the wall. A 16" is my goal for a mount.

I'm heading up with my dad to northern WI for browns this weekend. He just came off major heart surgery & we almost lost him. I treasure each time I get out with him now!

Hope you dosn't let pops show ya up. I feel the same way about getting to take grandpa out when he feels up to it, gotta do what you can while we still have the chance. Hope you guys get in to them, let us know how ya did when you get back. I'm heading to the cabin near garrison, fishing, eating, drinking, and a buddies birthda party, should be a great weekend!

Dad showed me up again! We were up in the Port Wing area and fished a few hours Friday afternoon & Saturday am on Dads secret stream. Ended up keeping 14 browns up to 15 inches...usually get them up to 20", but we had a great time! Dad has a buddy that charters trips on Superior, so we got a chance to get out Sunday am from 7 to noon before the storms hit. Kept 4 browns from 20 - 26 inches (footballs), 4 coho's & some nice walleye. It was a great trip overall! The fish were still in shallow on the big lake (10-20ft).