• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

beep beep beep on Mariner 45 hp

My brother is getting the low/no oil alert on his '89ish Mariner 45 hp 2 cycle. The oil tank is full, and he's getting oil as there is plenty of blue smoke around.

I'm assuming one of two things - 1) his oil level pickup float is stuck, and we need to break it loose, or 2) the oil pump shaft rotation sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts? Also, if it is a bad oil pump, anybody convert one of these to pre-mix? With today's synthetics premixed at 60 or 75:1, I bet it would smoke less and use less oil anyway.

There is no oil pump shaft rotation sensor on that motor. Only 2 things can sound the alarm.

1. Low or no oil.

2. Overheating.

Disconnect either one briefly to find out which one is the cause.

The overheat alarm is a steady beep. The intermittent beep is low/no oil. I am getting an intermittent beep, not a steady beep. There is a float in the tank for oil level, and a sensor with a magnet that senses if the oil pump shaft is rotating. The first is a signal for low oil, and the second is for no oil. Is that not true?

i have the same motor I took off all the injection stuff and mix my gas they are a very good motor but a few mechanics that i talked to said every motor that they seen with any real problems all were traced back to not getting enough oil or none at all if you ruin 4 cylinders it wouldn,t pay to fix . Also they told me that the alarm most of the time will not sound until there is damage which is to late. i also found one mechanic that said that they work good with no problems. I just wont take a chance with my motor'

I also own a 45hp Mariner from '87 (first year with oil injection). I took the fuel injection off and mix my own as well....Runs like a dream! What is your mixing ratio raymondk? I lost my little black book with all my notes in it and I don't have an owner's manual for the engine. Cheers!