• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum vs vex vs lowrance

docwalleye

Question

9 answers to this question

I'm going to start this off letting you know the marcum and vex are great. A lot of the guys here are pro marcum, from experience, and you could check out a previous thread that shows that. They also are "fair and balanced" by saying they are both great units.

Yesterday, after much research I bought a new fl-18. I had the last Marcum x-3 in the store in my hand ready to buy (due to the guys here touting it) and was told two stories by fellow anglers which made me wonder, I then asked the salesperson behind the counter. He was pro vexilar, with reasons that I agreed with. I based my decision on two things. One, I have an fl-8 and like it, two, I was concerned that although the Marcum "seems" superior in some ways I, along with others, have no idea if after use there is something that does not work properly. Kind of an old reliable feeling with the vex. That said, both, from my understanding, are fantastic. The fl-18 has bottom lock zoom. The marcum zoom can be positioned where you want, not just the bottom. The marcum is 3.5 times more powerful. You need to judge the two, regarding the display and what you like. Read on...the fellas that follow me are much more informed than me, I'm no professional fisherman. I would just want to know that after everyone expresses their opinion here, they also let you know if they have any bias, for example; employment, any financial relationship with either Lowrance, Vexilar, Marcum, or any product.

FM friends, I edited this because I choose some words which, in my opinion, were not what I want on here, "upon further review" I choose to get rid of them, any apologies needed are offerred.

[This message has been edited by leechlake (edited 01-01-2004).]

leechlake - Very good post. I owned an FL-8 too and loved it. I don't have any affiliation with Vexilar or Marcum I own the FL-18 and the LX-3 and for what I do in 40' of water or less the LX-3 is my choice. Superior target separation that's dead balls on accurate and not blobby like the 18. The LX-3 just out performs the FL-18 for what I do fishing for crappies bluegills and perch. I don't use either one in open water. I am in both my second season fishing both units but if I had to chose one unit it would be the LX-3. Reliability of the FL-8 will be a tall task for anyone to match and to this date I have been thoroughly pleased with the LX-3. I ice fish alot not just on weekends and thus far it hasn't let me down. Good luck with your 18...

I have had the Lowrance ice machine for 2 months and I love it. It has three screens, flasher, graph and split screen graph with movable zoom. The flasher has split zoom also, but it only shows the bottum six feet. Like I said I really like this and I needed both a flasher and a graph for the boat so it also saved me money. I got it at Thorne Bros and they were giving a free skimmer transducer with each purchase, I don't know if they are still doing that.
I think you should at least check this one out.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I have a relationship with Marcum.That is not to say I got anything for free.
Guides,tournament fishermen and other professional fishermen choose these relationships based on what they want to use and what they believe is the best.
I used to have a FL18 but in my mind the Marcum LX3 is the better choice.I chose to buy a Marcum and chose to have a relationsip with them rather than a different company.
I have not done any comparison with the Lowrance unit.

I was going to post the exact same question. However I am looking for a multipurpose locator for both ice fishing and mounting on the bow of my boat in the summer. With those requirements is the Lowrance X-67c a better option or the Vex FL-18? The reason I ask is that I have the Universal Sonar on my Minnkota and I don't believe the MArcum would be compatible.

Any more feedback would be appreciated.

Vikes,

I have the same trolling motor set up as you. I chose to go with Vexilar. Have never regretted it. The universal transcducer is not compatible with the Marcum frown.gif

I haven't had the chance to use the new flasher by Lowrance for an extended time though.

This summer I will be adding a puck transcducer so that I can put my LX-3 on the bow. I just love that clean crisp display.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]
Marcum
Otter Outdoors

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 01-02-2004).]

I have seen both in action on the ice. Either unit will meet your needs of targeting fish. In my opionion the FL-18 is more user friendly and has a better visual display. I like the auto zoom on the Vex that targets the bottom 6 feet. The Marcuc you can zoom in on any area of the water column that you chose which may help in very deep water and when targeting crappie.

The FL-18 is a very fine unit. I've fished with both the 18 and LX-3. I own the LX-3, my previous unit is an FL-8. I don't see the need to get into sponsorship issues here, there are many Vexilar sponsored fishermen as well as MarCum on this site. You'll get information and recommendations from both here. I am on MarCum's ProStaff, so if you want to take that into account that is fine. I did own an LX-3 before going on board with MarCum and that is the main reason I was very interested in working with them. I strongly believe the MarCum units to be the best available.

The LX-3 offers an adjustable zoom feature where you can adjust the zoom window anywhere within the water column. If you fish any suspended fish, this feature is awesome. I use the zoom a lot in water as shallow as 12'. Narrowing that window from 12' to 5', gives you that much better target resolution and response. That alone is a huge advantage over the competition.

A couple of other factors to consider... The MarCum can fish next to a Vex. with no interference problems. The Vex. will have problems fishing next to the MarCum. I've never had an interference issue fishing with the LX-3 for two years now.

The display is super crisp and the target separation is the best available on the LX-3. It is so good that it will separate a 1/64 oz. tear drop from the wax worm on the hook.

I'll have the LX-3 on my boat this summer, on the bow with the puck transducer.

I can't tell you much about the Lowrance system either. I looked at them a bit and wasn't impressed personally. I like the idea and think that if Lowrance decides to put a little money and effort into an ice unit, they may be pretty tough competition in the future. They need to address the overall packaging of that system and the transducer arm/cable. I also think the screen is too small in flasher mode.

Good luck with your decision!