Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rocky

x-87, x-91, wattage question

12 posts in this topic

I was comparing the x-87 which has 1500 watts to the x-97 which has 3000 watts tonight and I need some advice. Just about all of my fishing is done in 35 feet of water or less. I was told that the x-97 would be overkill since the extra wattage would only be noticably different if I fished deeper water. Do I need to spend the extra money to go with the extra wattage (x-97)or does the x-87 have enough power. I also noticed the x-91 has 3000 watts but less pixels, would this be a better option?? I have read in other posts that pixel count is the most important thing to look for but I would like some info on my wattage concerns before I purchase. thanks in advance

If your going to be in 35 ft of water or less the X87 should be plenty.
You may want to look at the Eagal fishmark 320.

thanks for the reply, I guess my question basically was is wattage more important or are pixels when purchasing a locator

I believe Pixels are better than wattage. Because without pixels you can't see anything no matter how much wattage you have. Also 3000 Watts PTP power is a ton. Good for the great lakes. Will work here but is overkill. Even 1500 is a lot. Do look at the fish mark 320 it is an excellent locator for the money. I would try to stay with a 320 x 320 screen if possible.

Good Luck
Chev

If you can still find a clearanced out x -91, but it.

How good are the X-71's from last years models in the deeper water?

I have seen the x-91 also. This has 3000 watts but less pixels than the x-87. I guess this is a good example of my questions about which is more important, pixels or wattage. and is 1500 watts enough or should I go to 3000. one reply (thank you) said 1500 is plenty but I would like some other opinions as well.

One friend of mine has an X75 (1500 watts) and another has an X85 (3000 watts). These have 240 X 240 pixel screens. They fish the same lakes with water down to 40 feet and neither has ever complained about not being able to mark fish. I would go with the Fishmark 320 which has 320 X 320 pixels and 1500 watts for $200.

[This message has been edited by Hookmaster (edited 04-07-2003).]

whats the difference between the fishmark 320 and the x-87??

I've had an Eagle Ultra Classic and the Lowrance equal on my boat for two years and the difference I saw was the quality of the image on the screen, both had the same pixel count but I liked the Lowrance image quality better it was a different shade and seemed sharper, besides that the X-87 costs 299 and the Eagle unit is 80-100 less. That's what I know of the difference.

rockey the Eagle 320 and Lowrance X87 are the same unit just different colors. There isone exception. The Lowrance has a Fast Track Mode that gives you a LCD Flasher display under one setting. The Eagle does not have this but it does still have a Fast Track option that is a small strip on the right side of the display it works the same the Lowrance also has this as well. The advantage of the fast track is that it will pick up better when operating at higher speeds. So all and all the only difference really is only about 70 bucks. The watts and pixels are the same.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes