• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoys?

going4it

It varies.  Just like fishing, there is no magic bullet.  Sometimes they like em and sometimes they don’t.  Sometimes they like just a hen and sometimes a strutter is the hook to bring a fighting Tom in.

I wouldn’t be without at least one though and I’d buy the most realistic looking one I felt I could afford.  IMO birds seem to be getting wiser to decoys so just plunking a chicken out and expecting a hot tom to come running hasn’t been a realistic expectation.  I’m not much of a field hunter though so maybe it’s still producing as well as ever for those guys?

The last field hunts I’ve had in pressured areas the decoys kept the birds at bay.  In the woods they usually at least swing by to get a better look at a naturally posed decoy.  But yet sometimes the absence of a decoy keeps them looking as long as you don’t call when they have a clear line of sight to you.  Those birds can and will pinpoint you from your calling so keep that in mind.

Learning turkey hunting and getting the drop on a good Tom is one of the biggest adrenaline rushes and some of the highest satisfaction I’ve ever had in hunting.  Good luck!

I have had really goof luck with a hen and plain Jake early in the season. Mid season on I like to just use a hen. I have never used a strutting decoy but may try that this year just for something different. I archery hunt, mostly private with minimal pressure from others but have scouted some public that I have been itching to try...

Also do not be afraid to keep the decoys in the truck. I do have some decoys and have used in the past but 90% of my hunts the decoys do not get used.  I think you still should have them and scout and through your hunt see what birds are responding to.