• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cardinals

smurfy

I had a whole bunch of pairs of cardinals chasing each other around my backyard, Friday.  Sorta like there was an empty nesting territory being bid on.   Interestingly I have had a pair around the yard all winter;  so I thought that the territories were all set up.

9 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

2 baldies were getting it on last thursday about 100 yards from where we were fishing. pretty cool. spring is in the air... LOL

The MN DNR Eagle Cam pair already has three eggs and is over half way done incubating them.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/webcams/eaglecam/index.html

Anybody have any luck drawing Cardinals to wooden houses/shelves? Seen a few lately but would like to know if they work. It says 4 feet off the ground on walls behind shrubs is the placement but that sure seems like a cat food location to me.

We have three pairs,   near as we can tell, of Cardinals but have not been able to guess WHERE they nest. They''ll show up often at crack of dawn and hit the feeders,  then sometimes one or two will sit way in the absolute top of a tree couple hundred feet away and just watch whatever is going on.  Nice to see those red streaks shoot across the front of the house. And nice to listen to them at while enjoying morning coffee.

I've tried and failed to ever find a nest also but if they are that low to the ground I have to say I never looked that low. A couple different Cardinal websites told me the 4 foot thing so it must be.

On 2/24/2017 at 6:26 AM, Jim Almquist said:

I have seen 3 different flocks of Swan's in the past week. I have also seen small flocks of little birds that look to be migrating.

Jim...........i see hundreds of them swans daily. they stay here around monticello year round in the river. pretty awesome to see them!!!