• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kenmore Gas Stove - oven not starting

BoxMN

Hi all, I have a Kenmore Gas Stove that is fairly old, but I can't even find a model number. It has electric ignitor and digital settings, so not REAL old.

Stove top burners are working fine, and last night I baked some burgers in the oven just fine, and I did use broiler, all worked fine. But it was spurting fat I am sure. But it worked.

Today wife went to put in a prime rib for my Mom's birthday dinner.... (figures, on this day it happens...) and the oven won't fire up on any setting. Not Bake, Not Broil, not Clean.

I do have instructions for "bake burner removal" and "Igniter (glowbar) replacement". Do either of these things seem like they might take of my issue? Or what else should I look for? Might I have clogged a jet, or blown out a pilot (I don't think this has a regular pilot as I don't recall ever needing to light one before.).

Thanks for any help or advice! I don't want to get a new stove... Glad I have good neighbors who will cook the meat, hope they don't eat it too ;)

i had something similar happen to my kenmore gas oven. if you pull out the warming drawer and get down and look there should be a model number. I had to call an appliance repair guy to get the parts as I had no clue where to start. it was a cheap fix but dealing with gas etc, I just opted to let a pro do it. labor was more expensive than the parts so wasnt to bad.

Thanks Run!

From the looks of it so far, I will need a single igniter for the lower, but the broiler does seem to be working if I give it time. About a $20 part on Amazon, and I will see how much it goes for locally tomorrow. I think I can tackle it, thanks to YouTube ;)

I replaced an igniter on an oven and it is pretty easy.  Bought an oven for deer camp and stove top worked but igniter did not get hot enough to open the gas valve.  $25 Amazon part and 20 minutes and it is now working like a charm.  Stay away from OEM parts as they will cost $100 or so.

I have had excellent luck at Northland Appliance back off of White Bear Parkway south of 96 a couple of blocks.  Every time I have gone in there to buy a part I explain what the problem is and they say exactly what I need.  It may take them a few days to get it, and you may pay more than you would on-line but getting the right dope ASAP is worth it in my book.  There is also an appliance parts place on Willow Lake Bvd west of 61 a block or so.  Maybe Dey?  Good selection of parts but not good with advice on what  you need.

I had the same experience with the place west of 61 when getting a washer belt. Perfect belt (not cheap there either) but no advice. Will keep the other place in mind for next fix :)

The Amazon part was identical and showed up on Monday and took 20 minutes to install and put oven back together. I only uttered one swear word, and that was from dropping a screw... Piece of cake fix.