• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chev 5.3 - P0521 code

My brother has a 2007 Chev Silverado with 5.3. He had the oil problems this engine is known for, and worked with the dealer, and eventually got a brand spanking new 2011 engine that they said was newer design and "will never have the problem again".... Truck has about 100k but engine only about 30k. Running great.

So now he just popped a P0521 / P0523 low oil pressure/low voltage code

Also his oil pressure gauge is reading nothing, looks like the gauge is not even working.

He changes oil regularly, and right now is not a bit low on the dipstick. Reading on this code online it seems it could either be a simple filter somewhere in the engine up to an engine which is dying... heh, so I recommended he bring it in and have a pro look at it, just knowing it could be bad, but likely is something small.

Does anybody know the most common reason for this code on that engine? Is the filter something simple enough I could do? Though I don't even know how to test the gauge or the oil pressure to truly make sure he has good enough pressure. Should he not drive this until it is looked at? I cleared the codes for now to see if it happens again.

One thing a buddy had happen was his oil change place was using bad oil filters. Cheap filters with paper inards.. It cost him $2000 to get that figured out, and since he switched to good filters he hasn't had this problem again, and from reading stuff, it seemed like that could potentially be an issue that caused this.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by BoxMN

I have a 11 chevy and had the engine oil sensor go, 0nly 44,000 on it.  the mech said though 12 they have these issues and could even be a crank proplem, I'm wondering what to do myself.

It is not uncommon for the oil pressure sender to be the problem. Make sure if you do it to replace the small screen /(filter) that is under the sender.  Be warned, it's not a fun/easy job due to its  location on the rear of the engine. 

Edited by Macgyver55

4 hours ago, Macgyver55 said:

It is not uncommon for the oil pressure sender to be the problem. Make sure if you do it to replace the small screen /(filter) that is under the sender.  Be warned, it's not a fun/easy job due to its  location on the rear of the engine. 

I would also not hesitate to replace the sensor also

Engines with the cylinder on demand will have the sensor with the screen. they recommend that you pull the intake plenum to service. It is not hard to pull the plenum and will make it a lot easier to replace the sensor and the screen if you are not familiar with this type of service.

Engines without the cylinder on demand will only have a sensor. The sensor can be replaced without pulling the plenum. You will need a standard oil pressure switch socket, a 3/8" swivel, and extension, and a ratchet. You can feel around behind the plenum on the drivers side for the connector and kind of see the connector sensor if you stick you head right up to the firewall and look down.

Thanks guys! Do I need to get a new gasket for the intake when I put it back on?

Not sure my brother is going to want me tackling this, or more specifically, his wife ;) She thinks only mechanics should touch cars, and only painters should paint, and only... you get the picture ;)

Otherwise at least now he knows what to expect from our local shop.

Well, we put in the new sender and screen filter this evening. It actually seemed pretty easy, overall. Took maybe 45 minutes and no cut knuckles, and didn't remove anything but the plastic engine cover. Used a curved dental pic to pull out the old screen, and I guess my hands are big enough to make it sort of a pain, but not too big to be able to get back in there without dropping parts :)

The old screen looked pretty nice and clean, just like the new one, so maybe it was just the sender itself I am guessing. Now reading pressure again. Thanks again for your help guys!!! Now he can be towing the boat again instead of my old '98.;)

Edited by BoxMN