• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mop or not to mop ?

spare?  or trimmed to st louis?  some mop some dont. I put some sauce in the foil and then a little sauce on top after that in the final step which usually is less that 30 minutes.  so I guess it's knid on a mop. :) 

I like to mop. Last 1/3 of cooking time. Lots don't. I mix my favorite BBQ sauce with some apple juice for a quick mop. Another good one, vinegar, water, chili powder, some dry mustard mixed well. I've even thinnned out teriyaki glaze with water and added apple juice and some worcestershire sauce. Only yer imagination limits ya. :)

I spritz every 30 minutes, 2 parts regular Dr. Pepper 1 part apple cider vinegar.  I put a healthy dry rub on the ribs to start with that contains brown sugar salt and assorted spices.  Never been a mop fan, never sauce them either.  have 5 racks to throw on the smoker this Sunday morning for my son's 15th birthday Hootinany.....  naturally, I will be following Minnesota statute 53-2.7 paragraph 2 which states " an open container or alcoholic beverage must be in hand when performing any kind of cooking outside" lucky me, I have both, and two hands

as a side to this whole topic:  has anyone ever put maple syrup on their ribs?  I have some maple syrup from a friend in WI that kind of got away from him (he might have been sleeping it off) but it is still good.  I am thinking of putting it on as a glaze with say and hour to go meat sized down for the last 2 hours or less

Edited by picksbigwagon

Well, I added a little Dr. pepper (1;1 ratio) and some acv along with some dry rub, reduced it down on heat and basted the rack the last hour of the cook time.  Next time, I will baste them the entire 4-5 hours (I do a 3-2 method, no foil, just smoke, low and slow baby) there was a hint of maple but not enough of a glaze on the ribs.  The rest of the racks were dry rubbed and were a huge hit.  One brother in law who claims to be a foody, said they are better than anything he has had before and he travels a lot and hits a lot BBQ places.  I think he was just being nice, but I am my own harshest critic and I thought they were okay.  sorry, no pictures of the finished product and only on picture of when they hit the grill.....yes, I cracked a beer at 7:15 in the morning, I don't like breaking the law

ribs.jpg

I smoked a rack last weekend using 3-2-1 method.

I added brown sugar and honey, top and bottom of rack before wrapping in the foil.

Pretty darn good. Especially if you like candy...:grin:

(probably wont try that again)