• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Estate Ammunition

Browsing the local sporting good store. I see the Estate ammo about half the price of Federal, Remington. Looking at the boxes everything appears to be equivalent. Just curious if anyone has shot these and what the reviews are. I was looking at 20 gauge hi brass/pheasant loads to be used by my son for turkeys.

While I do not shoot it I understand it is made right around the Twin Cities someplace and has a reputation as  a decent "budget" shotgun ammo. Don't know if they make anything else. It may be made by one of the major ammo makers,   probably Federal.

But why a .20 gauge load, of any kind,  for a turkey?  And wouldn't you want the boy to be using a premium "turkey load" of some kind to improve his odds?

Yeah, I might go with a specialized turkey load.  

Turkey loads can get spendy, but if you are doing it right you're shooting 1 shell per year.

I used some cheaper shells to get my sights dialed in, then patterned with a couple expensive loads.  Everything looked good and I have just been rolling with it since.

Good Questions. The 20 gauge is a gift from his grandpa and is the gun my wife grew up using. My son is 11 and not very big in stature. No need to pound him with my 12 gauge magnum turkey loads. I think it is pretty cool that he wants to use that gun. Were hoping grandpa can join us for a hunt or 2 and it would be really neat if it happened with him along. A 20 gauge is plenty of gun to kill a turkey. We will have a 25-30 yard max depending on how the shells perform. We will try a few different boxes this weekend. I asked the question about the high brass shells as I can not fine any 20 gauge 2 3/4 turkey loads anyplace and I have been looking for quite awhile. I just thought it was interesting that the estate shells were so cheap. I have never shot them before...

Edited by paceman