• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flasher issue Humminbird Ice 35

lungdeflator

I have an Ice 35 that is probably 4-5 years old.  It gets used heavy in during the season.  Starting around January this year, it had its first issue.  When I would turn it on, it would not come on.  The only way it will come on is by reaching to the back of the unit and barely tweaking the transducer cord (right about where it plugs in).  I checked multiple times and made sure it was seated in well, but it got worse over the winter.  To the point where I could not turn it on without having to tweak the cord.  Is the transducer cord bad?  It is weird that it wont power up at all without tweaking the cord.  I would have thought it would have powered but just would not have shown a picture if the transducer cord was bad.  Any thoughts?

It could be that there is a function to protect the electronics from operating with no transducer.   I can think of several reasons for such a function.  

What is the connector?  Can you cut off a few inches and install a new connector?  What's a new transducer cost?  

Wires are susceptible to breaking from flexing all the time and right at the connector is a concentrated spot for flexing. 

You can't splice a transducer cord. Moisture inside will also do that from a break in the cord. Not positive on the Hbirds, but Marcums will not display with a bad transducer, or will have intermittent display problems. Try a transducer from someone you know that has a working one first. Can you heard it clicking at the TD end when it's powered up?

Type "splicing transducer cable" into the Google search box.

Not that this will fix the OP's problem, but you can splice a transducer cable. Sounds like his failure is too close to the connector to be spliced. He might have intermittent contact between the pins and sockets in the connectors, or a failure in the cable itself.