• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody still hunting grouse?

I usually go Christmas week if the snow isn't too deep.  I have three dogs and I think the most productive way is without dogs when there is snow.  Not that I do it all the time , but if it's more about having the final grouse meal of the year I think it ups the odds.

I have a standing invite to a deer camp that I may take the offer on this year if it fits into the schedule. Need one for the upland wall so hopefully only a short hunt. At least one overnight to enjoy the sauna though. 

I actually look forward to this time of the year. A few inches of snow is good for tracking and with the swamps freezing over hunting  the edge when the sun is out in the afternoon can be some good shooting. Birds also tend to covey back up this time of the year so if you find one you may more real close by. Kind of a toss up hunting with or with out a dog. I rather take the dog with then leave him home. Bright red collar and a loud bell so I can keep an eye n him when he gets in the swamp grass. Seldom do I see any other hunters out and walking tote roads is like hunting untouched land. Also a good time to pick out your Christmas as that is why I tell the wife I have to go out so much, just can't find that perfect tree!

I actually look forward to this time of the year. A few inches of snow is good for tracking and with the swamps freezing over hunting  the edge when the sun is out in the afternoon can be some good shooting. Birds also tend to covey back up this time of the year so if you find one you may more real close by. Kind of a toss up hunting with or with out a dog. I rather take the dog with then leave him home. Bright red collar and a loud bell so I can keep an eye n him when he gets in the swamp grass. Seldom do I see any other hunters out and walking tote roads is like hunting untouched land. Also a good time to pick out your Christmas tree as that is why I tell the wife I have to go out so much, just can't find that perfect tree!