• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance HDS 5

Tom7227

Someone tried to steal the unit from my boat.  They didn't get the unit but cut both the power cord and the transducer line.

I have a transducer that broke and I wonder whether I can cut the end off that one and splice it onto the one on the boat.  I haven't looked at the cut end on the boat so I don't know if it is a coax type cable or what.  Can I splice it or is it not possible.

When looking for a new power cable on line I keep finding a unit that has multiple wires.  I think the setup I have only had two wires.  I suspect that the parts I am finding on the lowrance page are for the Gen 1 units.   The on line setup is Lowrance Power Cable for HDS PC-30-RS422  

Any ideas on what power cable would work?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Edited by Tom7227

If it is only 2 wires, you could always go into the unit and solder 2 wires of the same gauge to it and run enough length to get you to the battery box or fuse block.  Should work in a pinch.

Tunrevir~

Don't you have both pieces of the cable,since they didn't get the unit and presumably not the boat either?

My experience with Lowrance is that connectors seem to be compatible over a number of generations, and are defined by color. I think it is pretty unlikely that the power connector and cable changed between HDS generations, or even sizes.  If they only show one, that is probably why. 

The cannon plug ends of both cables are gone.  Cutting them off and unscrewing them wasn't enough, they had to toss them or something.   The Gen 1 power cable that pops up has at least 6 wires coming out of it, probably for the ability to hook up numerous units.  I don't think my Gen O unit had that many.

If it were me, I'd purchase the new power wire and connect it up where the old one connected.  I know that's a bit more work, but that also assures you don't have a bad connection when you really need your depth finder later where you spliced the wires in.  My 0.02.

As far as the transducer cord, I have heard of some guys splicing them, but the recommendation there would be to replace it unfortunately...

marine_man