• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it snow gooese season yet!!!!!!!!

Heck of a bird watching trip. No need for ice to keep the mountains blue. Helps to stay warm and work up a thirst having to change the spread around every few hours due to changing winds.

Geese shut down today. Was able to get into the field so pulled the spread in case it started melting. Got a decent blue for last spread bird. full-283-54196-20150323_122328.jpg

Probably put in a little road time today in case a drive by opportunity presents itself. Decoys are a mess. Don't fit so well in the cubes. Gotta play this drying operation carefully so wifey doesn't see how many decoys have been bought. May be back in two weeks depending on work. full-283-54198-20150323_134646.jpg

Great photos! My buddy and I are contemplating making a drive to nodak this weekend... Never chased snows but we have the itch to give it a go crawling fence lines and " jump shooting" or possibly pass shooting if we find some good numbers.... Is it worth giving it a go in your opinion? Closest thing I have to snowgoose decoys is 2 dozen mallard slammer socks that seem to be white from a long distance... So figured leave the dekes and blinds behind??

Go for it proskier!. I only hunt snows from a spread now but started out jumping/pass shooting them in ND. I have a lot of good memories doing that....we always ended up getting a decent amount. You just need to find the right field with birds in the right spot to get a good sneak. Find where birds are using different fields in close proximity to each other and get in between them as they trade fields for pass shooting. I have 1500 decoys now and haven't had any time to spring hunt the last few years(just spend a week in sask. every October).

Oh and leave the dekes and blinds at home. If you don't have snow goose dekes don't waste your time as you need at least 10 dozen snows goose decoys(IMHO) to even get a look from most flocks....maybe less then that with full bodies. Plus an e-caller helps a lot.

good luck

jeff

Just got home from SD Sunday. What a grind it was... 30MPH winds and super dry conditions made for a interesting hunt. From Friday to Sunday we ended with 40 birds and one banded Ross that is en-route to the Taxi!

full-26178-54240-img_0085.jpg

This is what 1300 decoys looks like from afar.

full-26178-54241-img_0086.jpg

full-26178-54242-img_0106.jpg

30 MPH head wind combined with a loaded down enclosed trailer = Poor MPG

full-26178-54243-img_0114.jpg

full-26178-54244-img_0113.jpg

Well I'm gonna give it a go this weekend in southcentral/ southeast nodak -figured why not!! Never been but I've got nothin else going on so might as well log some miles and do some jump shooting hopefully. If anyone has dekes and has room for an extra let me know. I will be sure to report back with what I see.!

Must have been a slow season. Not many reports in this thread of guys getting out. Kind of a goofy spring weatherwise. Headed back out tomorrow. Seeing some good reports of juvie shoots in sodak yet. Camp has light snow forecast for Tuesday. Can't figure out if that's a good or bad situation.

Finally, only took 3 years to really figure out snow goose spring hunting. It's finally all come together so those first 2 kinda wasted years weren't quite so wasted after all. Got 2 in year 1. Got 6 in year 2. Got 79 in year 3. I think I'll replicate year 3 next year and not do what I was doing the first 2 years lol. All field hunting, no roost or feed busting. Finally I'm an official enemy to Whitey. Sure is nice to be able to roar out and have the gameplan set before we ever see a snow goose. Put on about 25 miles scouting this spring also, it's all about narrowing down everything and then creating the easiest way of getting gear in and out etc. I wasn't so sure it was gonna happen, thankfully I didn't spend a dime on a guide, my crew of guys we don't do a lot of the things guides do, at least from what I can tell from some of their videos, and maybe that was a little of our success, we put a lot of white and blue down this year, good luck to those still at it, they're not all in Canada yet, but won't be long now.

Buddy is in South-Central Saskatchewan as we speak at his cabin and is buried in snows.. Mostly adults, killed over 100 birds since monday evening over their spread. I'll try and snag a few pictures from him. They sure moved quick!