• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing line?

Bobb-o

Question

what kind of line do y'all use on your ice-fishing and open water reels? I tried Trilene micro-ice this winter and hated it so much. It had so much memory that i found myself doing more untangling than fishing. I have started using fireline on most of my ice-fishing reels now with aboot a 5-6' mono leader.

As for summer line I haven't found a better line than Rapala's new lines. And I like Spiderwire fusion alot for my northern pike and bass reels. Anyone tried the new spiderwire stealth or Berkley Ironsilk. was thinking of trying iron silk this summer.

------------------
"They say tuna is brain food, I guess it's cuz it has so much dolphin in it and you know how smart they are"

8 answers to this question

The coolest new line out I have tested is the PowerPro 8/1. I really Love that stuff!

PowerPro also has a new 15/4 out, just spooled up my heavy jigger with it today. I used Hi-Vis yellow and plan to jig big pike and other toothy critters with it soon.

I have to say the 8/1 is so sweet, easy to spool, even in -30, less icing, does not bury in the spoon and tick ya off like other braids will.

I will be using that 8/1 PowerPro on open water jigging this spring too.

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 02-22-2003).]

I've been using Gander Mountain's Guide Series fishing line. I tried it last year and really like it a lot. I'm sick of paying high prices for hyped-up fishing line. I left it on my reels from summer to winter, just to see what would happen. The stuff worked as good or better than my Trilene ice fishing lines. I use the green color, (which is virtually invisible in the water) and I've been able to detect even the subtlest bites from timid crappies and I don't use bobbers, I just watch the line...I won't switch to anything else now...
(I don't know who makes it for Gander, could be Trilene for all I know)...--AK

I tried Rapalas Finesse line this winter and it was junk. You could not even tie an over hand knot and it would break. I was determined to us it, but I couldn’t even tie it on to the spool. I tried taping it to the spool and spooling up that way. After that I could not tie any kind of knot without it breaking. I ended up going back to Trilene. Trilene is tough to beat.

I have been using the cold weather formula trilene for a few years now and I really like it. In the summer I have used the all of the berkley lines: trilene xt & xl, vanish, sensithin, ext. I like the xl the most out of all of them. I also have tried the gander mountain line and it seems to be about the same as the berkley stuff, which isn't bad. I think this summer I am going to try P-Line The guys at Vados give me hell for not trying it so I am going to give in the year and spool up with some of it. ><>
deadeye

I use almost exclusively Berkley lines, but I am game to try new stuff.

The New Berkley IRON-SILK is a big winner in my book. I use a bunch of FireLine as well, great trolling line on rivers.

It has been years since I used any Stren, good stuff, just do not like it as much as Trilien or Power-Pro is all.

I have been using High Vis. Green Fireline this winter and I am sold on the stuff. It doesn't break. I have 4 rods that I use for walleyes and none have broken off all winter. Also it doesn't develope memory like mono does. So no more twisted coiled up line that explodes of the spool when the bail is opened. Pretty cool stuff I was skeptical at first but know I am sold. The only thing about it is the the conventional bobber knots like to slip so I have been using the plastic dog bone style and these have been working great.