• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 or 24 volt?

cluelessfisherman

Question

Ok folks, it's time for another Clueless moment. Could someone please tell me the difference between a 12 or 24 volt trolling motor and any possible benefits? Are we talking 2 different types of batteries?
I am looking on adding a bow mount this summer if you haven't already read my past post on 'boat accessory help'. Anyway, I honestly don't know anything about this. Please help the Clueless one out!!

Thanks!

------------------
Clueless - -

10 answers to this question

Well I know the type of fishing you plan to do, I would recommend the 24V system. You will need to run two 12 volt batteries in series(I will explain this later) to add up to 24V. Basically to make things simple, you need juice, or current to power your trolling motor, the more current you have the longer and faster you will be able to run your motor for before draining the battery. You can gain a similar advantgae with a 12V motor by putting two batteries in parallel, but this is not as big of an advantage when compared to a 24V system.

Series means you add the batteries together by connecting positive lead of battery #1 to the negative lead of battery #2, and then connect your positive lead of your trolling motor to the positive lead of battery # and then the negative lead to battery #1.

I wouldn't hesistate going with a 24V motor for the type of fishing you do, where you could be running the trolling motor constantly for 8-10 hour days.

i would also recomend the 24v system! i went to one three years ago.( had a 12 /24 before) the 24 has more consistant power.and longer battery life .if you go to this i would also recomend you spend the extra money and get a on board charger. sure makes things easy after you are done fishing. you get done fishing and just plug it in and your batteries get a full charge and no hassels. del

I forgot what size boat you have but if you plan on fishing more than 3-4 hours a day and fish in windy conditions absolutely go with a 24-volt motor. The difference surprised me when I went to a 48# thrust 24-volt from a 28# thrust 12-volt. Get as much thrust as you can afford and it will be even more economical on the batteries. Get the on-board charger also if you can afford it but you can always add this later.

I would also recommend the 24 volt. One thing to check is the wiring. If the boat was pre-rigged for a trolling motor chances are the wire is not heavy enough. I like to use 6 gauge for most 24 volt systems, and don't forget to put fuse in the system. Most people assume that if the boat builder put the wiring in it will work but most only use 10 gauge wiring and it will really restrict the amps that get to the trolling motor.

Clueless-
I don't think you can run 24V capacities in your Navigator. It should only be a 12V system in your model boat, unless you can re-wire it.

I think you should get the 12V (at least) 50lb thrust unit. I have that in mine and it works fine.

I really don't think you would need a 24 volt system in a boat of that size either. 12 volt 45# or bigger will pull ya around fine in a 16.5 footer. I think you'd be better off keeping the weight of another battery out of the bow, and you can spend the coin you save on other goodies.

Fisky

Clueless

You don't need a 24v system for the size boat you have. If you want longevity, hook two batteries in parallel and that will give you twice the life.

As much as I know I would enjoy the 24 volt system, I probably don't need it for my boat. My biggest concern is getting too much weight up on the bow. I think the weight of 2 batteries and the motor might be to much. I think I will be able to live with the 12 volt system. I will always have the transom battery to swith with if I need to as I probably won't be running that one much except for controlled drifts.

I have been looking at chargers today and was wondering what you run in your rigs? I heard a little about Guest and CSI chargers. Was wondering what your thoughts were on the Dual Pro or Minn Kota chargers? Looking for something that doesn't need much air around it like I guess the Guest does as it gets a little hot.

I promise, the questions will stop one of these days - as soon as I can get back out in a boat!
Bring on the open water!!!

------------------
Clueless - -

clueless
for your size boat, i would stay with a 12v
system, the extra weight, lost cargo space, upkeep of another battery and the REPLACEMENT COST of the batteries is just not worth it.BEEN THERE, DONE THAT,LEARNED FROM IT. would rather have had the space for a tackle box wink.gif money for a years worth of bait smile.gif, less the extra weight for sum what evers grin.gif

I used to have a 12v 3hp minkota on the transom of my little 16.5 Crestliner, along with a 12v powerdrive up front. They moved this boat awesome. Could pull cranks no problem with either on nice days, when it got a bit windier I could use them both to foreward troll, steering with just the bowmount. Also could slow troll/control drift sideways using both. They worked sweet on that boat.

Sounds like you are having fun contemplating all your options!