• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

San Fransisco/Bay Area Suggestions?

ThunderLund78

No travel forum on this site, but I've seen people post travel questions here before so hoping for some good replies. My wife and I have settled on San Fransisco for our annual kid-free anniversary get away.

We really only have about 4 days. We do plan on staying near Fishermans Warf and extensively walking and touring that area, going to Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and all the standard tourist things (niether of us have been there before). But also looking at renting a car for a day and possibly driving up the coast for a day trip.

Does anyone have any Must-sees or cool "under the radar" things we should try to make time for? Restaurant suggestions? Is traffic horrible, is trying to get out of town if only for a day evn an option?

The Fisherman's Wharf area can be expensive. Parking can be very expensive there.

You can drive up to Sonoma/Napa Valley wine country and tour some of the winerys and vinyards. Some charge and are pretty fancy, some are more family owned types and are free. Frog's Leap winery is kind of fun.

You can also hit Chinatown in SF for a couple hours.

Livid there for 20 years. A few of the things I liked to take visitors on a day trip. Starting at Golden Gate National reserve. Golden Gate Park. San Fran Zoo. Treasure Island for some super views of the skyline. Of course the trolley's. Make sure you are the last one on so you get to stand on the sides. I guess Fisherman's wharf is ok if you are into that stuff. If you rent a car make sure you go down the most twisty street in the world and make a trip up to coat tower. It is a cool town to visit. Don't know how old ya are but Height Asbury still there

I brought my family there 2 springs ago for Spring break and we had a blast. We stayed at a hotel in the Wharf area and that worked out great. We paid a little more, however you can walk to everything. Between the Bart, Trolley, and buses, the only time we needed a car was when we drove over the Golden Gate bridge and drove along the coast to a beach (forgetting the name).

I can't think of any hidden items for you. We did all the tourist things: Fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz, China Town, Exploratorium, Aquarium. If you like Pizza, I'd highly recommend taking the Bart under the bay to Oakland and eat at Zachary's Pizza. It was on Drive in, Diners and Dives and it is fantastic.

We have decided to stay at a Fisherman's Wharf area hotel and plan to walk to all attractions in that area. Looks like there's some parks on the coastline heading North up the PCH over the Golden Gate Bridge. I definitely would like to go to Wine Country but I think it would be a completely seperate trip, maybe Yosimite as well. I just don't think we'll have enough time to give that area the attention it deserves.

You mentioned BART - I'm going to guess that stands for "Bay Area Rail Transit?" confused

There is a redwood forest across the bay take the golden gate bridge, stop in Sacilito and eat at the spinnaker. Good food, great views of the bay. When you go to alcatraz, order your tickets now, the night excursions sell out, but if you go late afternoon, you can stay into the evening, the headphone tour is necessary, don't miss the exhibits and mini films. Lots of history there, I can't wait to go back

If you can walk the North end of the city. It's awesome!

Walk the shore area from the wharfs by the bay bridge on the east side around to Fishermans Warf, To Crissy Field to the Presidio and then out to the Golden Gate Bridge it is beautiful.

I highly recommend walking out at least 1/3 of the way on the Golden Gate Bridge. As far as urban areas go that panorama from 1/3 to 1/2 way across the GGB is one of the most beautiful in the world.

I recommend having the Ciopinno a seafood Fish Stew at Sotto Mare in North Beach- Casual and cool. There is a little schtick that the waitreses do that isn't over done. The Cioppino is great if you like seafood. If you don't do soup and seafood skip it.

Muir Woods as mentioned by some one before is cool and fairly close.

Stinson Beach is up a little and is kinda cool.

Golden Gate Beach is close.

Golden Gate Beach Park is nice but not a must see.

I recommend lots of walking , staying on the North end of things, and avoiding spending much time around Union Square.

Good Luck and enjoy a great City!!!

What a great city to go to!

Scoma's for ciopinno. Buena Vista for the best Irish Coffee I have ever had.

Check out Forbe's Island on the internet. It was on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous in the 80's. The owner picks you up and ferries you to the restaurant. Really a cool experience. It's a floating man made island that this guy use to live in. Just something you have to see, and if you have time, eat there. You'll need reservations.

If you opt out of getting a car, the BART is a great way to get to Embarcadero St from the airport, and from there, take the trollies. It was about $8 when we were there a few years ago. I think there is a place around the wharf that rents cars so you wouldn't have to go back to the airport to get a car.