• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pros & Cons of Strikemaster Mag 2000

hardhat

Question

I can pick up a 2hp Strikemaster Mag with the chipper blade for 219.99. I was wondering if anyone has complaints or compliments about this auger. The most ice we ever get here in PA on good winters is about 12 to 14 inches. I have heard the handles have broken on them and that the gas cap leaks when transporting. How do they cut with the chipper blade? Any advice appreciated. thanks.

21 answers to this question

This is my third year on the 2000. Just my thoughts 1)Chipper blade seems to last longer than the smooth blades 2)I can't seem to drill a hole straight down 3)Yah the gas cap will leak. Just don't fill the tank past half. You can still drill over a hundred holes. 4) My buddies with the 3 hp always get wet at breakthru. 5) The set screw between the power head and the auger needs to be frequently tightened.

------------------
IceNutt

I have this auger as well, and really like it. The notes about the gas cap are true..the gasket/o-ring will break if you tighten it too tight in the cold (it gets brittle and cracks). The remedies listed above work.

The only thing I would add is that you should routinely check the tightness of your collar bolt, where the auger attaches to the shaft. It will get loose on occasion.

It's really a good auger...light, easy starting. I would recommend it.

I can't believe that they can't design a cap that doesn't leak!! I bought a new cap last year for mine, now this year its leaking again! Will replace that *&^% little gasket and try the 'just open the cap'.

When you guys talk about putting it in the truck with the cap up, are you setting it on the muffler? Seems like that would be hard on it and it rocks back and forth.

Second question: when drilling holes, my auger sounds like its on a govenor, its kind of runs in cycles, rrrrn, rrrrn, rrrn, yet it keeps on running and cutting like a banshee, so I haven't taken it in. Does anybody else notice that?

Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone ever had the handles bust or crack on the new models? How much pressure do you put on the auger or does it feed itself? For the price it seems like a very good auger with a few minor glitches.

when I set it up on one of my metal handles, the cap points straight up. It will tip over onto the muffler from this position. I'm careful to prop it up against something, or tie it to the side of my box or something, so that it will stay up on the handlebar.

**** cap

I have an old Mag111 and all it does is keep on going and going. This is it's 10th winter without a problem. Got an 8 inch chipper and a 10 inch shaver and it cuts thru the LOTW ice well with either one of them. This thing has cut thousands of holes and has yet to fail me once.

I bought that same auger earlier this year and have had no problems with it at all. I know I have only had it for a few months but it seems to be a very reliable auger. Thanks for the heads up on the gas cover. I have been twisting the little cap and have had no problems with it but in the future I am just going to twist the main cap.

when I set it up on one of my metal handles, the cap points straight up. It will tip over onto the muffler from this position. I'm careful to prop it up against something, or tie it to the side of my box or something, so that it will stay up on the handlebar.

**** cap

My #2 son and I both have the 2000 with the metal handles and one problem we both had was the welds breaking on the lower part of the auger by the blades. We had to reshape the lower area and reweld them. The leaking gas cap vent I solved by making small gaskets for them from a rubberized gasket material with a fabric core. I wish someone would help me figure a way to pass these out because once I set up to make them it takes about 5 seconds to make one. I've been passing them out for a few years and haven't had anyone tell me that they have failed. I've used one for 3 years and it still seals tight.

I just got one of these augers not even a month ago second time out and I set it next to the truck. Sure as ---- the darn thing fell over and the plastic handle broke. I emailed strikemaster and asked if this would be covered under warranty and they told me to drop it off and it would be tooken care of. You gotta love service after the sale. I havent even sent in my warranty slip yet.

I have this Auger, it's now in its 4th season and its second season with a 10" Auger Blade.

I originally purchased it with an 8" and it works great with the 10" too. I personally haven't seen the benefit in a 3hp versus 2hp, but I can see how the 3 would be better suited for use digging fence post holes in the summer or if you are running around re-drilling holes in your sleeper houses all day as a resorter/guide. I'm confident someone will share their experience to the contrary.

I have the chipper blades and they are great.
Do yourself a favor and order a back-up gas cap, they just get leaky after a season from un-screwing and re-screwing the vent on the cap--it's just their nature.

Just be careful in transport and don't lay it down so that it can drip gas out of the cap, same too on the ice when moving around.

------------------
Chells

I have the Mag III which was the predacesor to the Mag 2000-- the only difference is the handle design (plastic) and different throttle lever. Same exzact motor and blades and such. It cut through up to 14" without a hitch; however when I was on Bald Eagle the other day with 18" it kept getting stuck. This is my first year with it, and I associate a lot of my troubles with my lack of expereince. Operating a power auger is a lot different than a hand auger, and altough it looks easy to use, trust me it's not. Even a 2hp gives a lot of buck that takes time to get used to.. and my arms were just as sore the next day after drilling a bunch of holes with the mag than with the hand auger. It does however cut a very clean hole; much better than a hand auger or some multi-bladed power augers.

Have the 10 inch auger. The recoils on these things are a pain. This will be the 3rd time within the last 2 years I have to pull the head and fix the recoil and spring. You guys do yourself a favor and don't ever open the vent on the gas cap, because the o-ring/gasket leak after a few times. When running auger, just unscrew the entire cap a 1/4 turn for venting purposes...works for me.. and no gas leaks.

I've used one for four years now. I routinely use it on LOW and never had a problem with it, even with an extension.

As long as you know about the gas cap, you shouldn't be in for any surprises. I do like what was posted above. Leave the screw tight, give the whole cap a quarter turn. I also try to store it with the cap up in a vehicle.

My handles are made out of metal, I don't know how they could break. I'm pretty good about leaving the blade guard on. The blade stays sharp that way and I feel it cuts just as good now as it did when it was new.

I'd definately buy another one. For 220 bucks, you won't be dissapointed.
CK

I got the mag III and its been a great auger for me . I have a friend of mine that is a country neighbor (2 miles away) he is one of the owners of strikemaster, he gave me a few tips on taking care of this auger . 1. do not leave the auger standing in a half drilled hole , it re freezes the blades and can easily bend the blade out of alignment. 2. on this auger I have pulled the starter rope right out, he showed me that if you reach over the power head to the other handle you can't pull the far enough out . When you hold the handle on the same side as the pull starter you push the auger away 3' and pull 5'+ they don't have 8' of rope in them. I learned that the hard way.3. keep the point sharp with a file "not the blades" but the point.and I never open the breather or the cap and have only once had it stop because of not enough air. metro

All good advice. A couple of notes, if your auger is new enough to have the allen wrench set screw, pull it out and put in a bolt with a locking nut, otherwise the bolt will fall out and get lost at the worst possible time. It does not work to tighten, they just keeping comming loose. My handles are metal, and I set it with the gas cap facing up, and it works perfect put it along the side of the truck with the augar resting over the wheel hubs. I fill it to 3/4 tank and my breather screw is always left open. My rubber gasket fell off about 6 years ago now and have never had a leaking problem. If this were to go into a sub or tahoe with carpet it may be a concern though.