• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing kayak for under $700???

Hi all,

I am looking at fishing kayaks. I think i prefer sit-in models because I'll be using it in early spring and fall and I don't want to get as wet. I will be fishing smaller lakes and rivers in northern MN.

I am not looking to spend more than $700. I know many of you purists will laugh at my price range, and I know you get what you pay for, but I am looking at buying 2 of them. Anyone have a suggestion as to what brands I should look at?

Thanks.

If it's sit-in that you want, look for an Old Town Vapor. It's a very solid boat for the money.

Or you can try to find a used Native Ultimate 12'. That would be by far the best option, but will be hard to find for sure.

don't mean to steer you away but i would really think hard on that whole sit in yak for fishing...you can always wear something like neoprene's early & late in the season etc...

there are many many reasons MOST all yak fisherman use/prefer a sit on top/SOT..

if you go with a SOT, a Perception Caster via gandermountain is in your price range...parent company is confluence watersports that also produces wilderness systems, mad river canoes etc...

or see if you can find a used ocean kayak trident or something along those lines...

When I was looking at my first yak I was going to get a Sit-in yak because I was concerned about the cold and water. I'm glad I opted for the SOT. Both of them. They're very stable, very dry, and offer much more fishing platform. And if you fall out, you can always climb back in, as opposed to learning the eskimo roll.

Good yaks for $700?

-Emotion Stealth (SOT, 10'3")

-used or factory second Ocean Kayak prowler 13

-Possibly a used Wilderness Systems Pungo (Sit in, decent yak; There's a musky guide who used them for years before switching to the Trident 13)

Check out Austinkayak.com

That $700 doesn't include the paddle right?

I bought my first Kayak last year (used mainly for fishing) and its a future beach vector 144 for $275, obviously its not going to be top notch,but if your looking for stability you wont find a better one...After a couple uses I could stand in it...But even though I love it..IF i bought another fishing kayak I would go with a sit on top one....I feel like you would have more room for equipment....But I love mine (stability was a huge thing) so I probably wont buy a new one for a long time

I've owned a Perception Caster 12.5 since 2010, its a great boat! Picked it up at Gander Mt on sale, and it came with a basic paddle. Been a great fishing platform thus far, I've fished bass and pike in lakes, big and small. I've even taken it up to Lake Superior for Lakers! I have a friend that has a Wilderness Systems SOT and it paddles and fishes the same. If you want to say dry during early/late season buy some scrupper plugs to plug the holes. All in all a great yak at an entry level price!

I love the solitude of kayaking and catching fish. I went with a Sun Dolphin Excursion 12SS from HD for my first kayak. It paddles very nicely and I have had no trouble fishing from this sit in model.

I also have packed for overnight with plenty of room for my gear for a weekend.

I have paddled many of Minnesotas rivers - completing the St. Louis, Big Fork, Little Fork, and Mississippi from Itasca to St. Cloud.

My goal for this summer is to kayak the Rainy River from I. Falls to LOTW.

My largest fish in the kayak has been a 49" Muskie out of the Little Fork river.

I hope your son finds a nice kayak and follows his dream. Best Wishes.

Hi all,

I am looking at fishing kayaks. I think i prefer sit-in models because I'll be using it in early spring and fall and I don't want to get as wet. I will be fishing smaller lakes and rivers in northern MN.

I am not looking to spend more than $700. I know many of you purists will laugh at my price range, and I know you get what you pay for, but I am looking at buying 2 of them. Anyone have a suggestion as to what brands I should look at?

Thanks.

I just happened to be looking at the new Bass Pro master catalog and they have sit on and sit in fishing kayaks, in severa; versions. Different sizes maybe? Anyway they range from 499 to 699 if my memory is correct.

To diverge a little, that Hobie kayak that you pedal is really sweet for fishing. Watched a guy fish from one in San Diego. Keeps your hands free. More than you want to spend I am sure, but really cool.

Been a great fishing platform thus far, I've fished bass and pike in lakes, big and small. I've even taken it up to Lake Superior for Lakers!

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how did you go about chasing lakers on LS? I considered it, but decided against chasing them on that big of water.

I love my Old Town Vapor Angler 10ft. Tomorrow I am going to get a fish finder for it and going to have a video on youtube. Just remember in Minnesota a kayak that is non motorized that is more that 10 ft needs to be licensed.

I got my field and stream from Dick's sporting goods on clearence yellow one for $350 I love it. Sit on tops are best for rigging and fishing but sit ins keep you more dry. Glad to see the sport is growing. Dick's sporting goods is suposidly having a huge kayak sale and Im sure everywere else. If anything the perception sport pescador is the highest rated fishing kkayak for $500 your going to love anything you buy Im a cheapo lucky to have found my deal YES the high end top of line are best BUT! I barley find time now with a newborn to go so I got a kayak and leftover mulah for diapers as long as it floats and works for you pull the trigger. Like my old man said to me when I showed him all the kayak fishing stuff he simply says... Man if I knew they had stuff like this years ago we would have never baughten boats we would all have had one of these now we have no boats no money and gave up fishing!

started with a used $150 sit in now I have a $350 sit on top no matter what you get both of these do me good the new one I have now is better but dosnt catch more fish than my old one

full-36248-45814-10101_4965331498689_962

full-36248-45815-10172787_10202050538732