• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Jigging Blank

I stepped on my fenwick jigging rod at the end of last season, so I'm in need of a new walleye jig rod. I would rather build one than buy a factory built rod. Does anyone have any suggestions on a 6'4" to 7'0" Medium Light fast or extra fast blank that they really like. I'd like to stay under a $100, but I could be talked into spending more if a blank was just too good to pass up.

Thanks.

I think many custom builders will agree that you'll get the BEST bang for your buck with the Batson XSW68MX or XSW72ML. Look for them on the Midwest Rod and Reel HSOforum. They're within your price range.

There are a number of very good blanks to choose from that meet your criteria, but one of the best I have found is a Batson xsw68mx. It is a 6'8" medium power extra fast blank that has a very nice action. I know of a vendor who currently has them on sale for $65.24. Use a search engine with "Batson get bit" and you will find it. They are regularly priced just over $100. Batson makes a similar blank that is 62" long that is outstanding, but those are not on sale, but are available through other sources.

The MHX series of blank also are very reasonable and perform well. There are two versions, the MHX and the MHX high modulus. I have built quite a few of these and people have been happy with the results.

Also close to your price point is the SCIII series of blanks from St. Croix. The 3S63MXF is a nice blank for about $90. These are widely available through a variety of sources. It is a 6'3" med, extra fast that makes a nice rod.

All depends what you want, but hopefully this gives you some options and starting points. There are others that may work as well.

When is fenwick going to let us builders have access to their blanks! I would love to be able to have access to them like they used to! Check out all of the options above, the Croix SC3 and batson blanks are great options.

I decided on the Batson XSW68MX. 65 bucks seemed like a good deal, so I got one for my cousin as well. I almost went for an SCV blank, but just couldn't justify it. Also, I don't really care for the color that they come in. I'm excited to try this blank out. From what everyone says, it will make a great rod. Thanks guys.

I have yet seen one batson rod blank I didnt feel was worth what I paid for it, cost vs. performance unbeatable my last build was a Phenix MBX 700m for drop shot rod built with AT ringlock micro custom inlayed grip , been a long winter and have yet to fish it. but over all phenix blanks feel and look really really nice

I have built about a dozen vertical jig rods on the XSW68MXF. A very nice blank, but I wouldn't call it close at all to a medium light. The St. Croix 3S68MXF has an even faster tip that may be even better for pitching than the Batson. And it is made in the USA.

I haven't held the XSW72ML yet, but the XSW62MX is a sweet little blank that could easily be extended a few inches.

The 3S St. Croixs would really fit your needs. What size jigs? Casting or vertical jigging?

but I wouldn't call it close at all to a medium light.

Shoot. That's not what I wanted to hear. I'm going to use it for vertical jigging, mostly smaller jigs. I'd like to have the tip be on the light side. The blank was backordered and it has to be dropped shipped to me from Batson, so it will be a few days before I get it. I'm sure it will be good enough. If not, it will give me a reason to build another one on a different blank. A guy can never have too many rods.

No worries! It's an awesome blank for walleyes. I just mentioned it because you specified medium light.

I put a little chart together for you so you can see how it ranks among some other fast blanks. The power column refers to the amount of weight it takes to deflect the blank to a percentage of it's length. The action column is the measurement of the tip angle in degrees when the blank is deflected to that same percentage.

full-10694-31788-jigblanks.jpg

my understanding is that some hi-end batson blanks are made in the USA (at a St. Croix factory) and the rest come from China.

As far as I know, the RX8+ is the only one made by SC in the USA.

NFC are made in Washington, as are most Lamiglas (not the IP versions) and Hydra I believe are made in the US down south somewhere.

Personally, I think it's good to shop local if you can, but I totally understand wanting a good blank for half the price as US made. I guess we'll pay for that later. wink