• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$50 FL 8

ellevold

Question

A guy sold me a vexilar FL8 SLT for $50 but it needs a tranducer. I usually fish in 30ft or less.What degree tranducer do you guys recommend. I found the tranducer with 9 degree and 19 but they want $125 for it.Do you know where I can get one cheaper or what do you suggest your help will be appriciated

15 answers to this question

You can go to the Vexilar HSOforum and under the Fl-18 you can click on "choosing a transducer". It will give you some tips and show a chart on what each transducer will cover at each depth. Good info and will help you make your own decision. My opinion is that the 9 would be best at 30 ft and the 19 would be best at 15 ft. thus the 9/19 would fit the bill if you varied your fishing depths to those scenarios. Your mileage may vary...

125 BUCKS! Where was this?

I assume in your description you were talking about the dual beam 9/19 transducer (which should sell for around $90). They're ideal if you fish a wide variety of depths. I'd love to have one, but the cost is out of my league. The 9 is good for deep fish; 40+ft. If you usually fish under 30 ft. I'd go for a straight 19 degree transducer. You can get a 19 from Vexilar for ~$60; maybe $5 cheaper if you shop around. If you're looking for something more versatile, consider a 12 (again around $60 from Vex); good for moderate depths (20+) but pretty small cone for less than 15ft.

Bottom line for your situation (30ft. or less), I'd go with the 19.

By the way, good buy!

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Be careful when buying transducers.

I bought a new 19 degree from Fleet Farm 3 weeks ago ($62). When I put it on the counter, the girl rang it up, and dropped it in a bag for me...BANG on the counter it went...Well, needless to say, the transducer has about 1/4 the sensitivity of the old one that is scratched and has been beat around the last 4 years.

Either it was defective from the get-go, or she managed to drop it just right. The sad part is.....I lost the reciept.

I am going to Vexilar tomorrow and I hope they can be reasonable with me.

PCG

Elle, $60 for single beam transducer at Mills in St. Cloud. $90 for the dual beam transducer. I may be willing to sell you my used transducer.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 12-19-2002).]

Ellevold,

I just bought a 19 degree iceducer for an FL8 at Galyans for $50. Works great.

I have a Vexilar transducer that is mounted on the plastic arm. It has a level on it as well. I'll sell it to the first person who gives me $20 for it. It works well and would make a great backup.

I went down to Vexilar to get my new FL-8 ($159). Brought the transducer in question with me. They tested it, said it was no good and gave me a new one. So simple.

PCG

ellevold, I think that's a wise choice if you've got the cash. Between the 8 and the 9/19, you've still only got about $140 in a used 8, and the FL8 models I see going used usually fetch $150 with the 19 degree ducer. In the end, you're spending less money for a more versatile unit. That's a winner. grin.gif