• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchors

Maryjl

Question

Well gise I'm thinking about anchors today.
We have two anchors on our boat one on front and one in back, but they just don't hold good enough alittle wind and we have lost our spot. I'm not sure of the weight,but its a 17ft spectrum. I'm thinking we need heavier anchors, but I have all I can handle with the ones we got exspecailly when I go out by myself. I'd like to have a automatic one,but they look like they take alot of room and to hold in one spot you'd have to have two and thats just to spendy. So got any good ideas on anchors. Got my list made out for Cabela's for this weekend going with the Berkley scale and a Shimano fillet knife. We also need new life jackets this year. Thanks Mary

7 answers to this question

I like 18# tri-fluted "river?" type anchors, good all around. I also have anchors made from 8 inch disc blades that are great for grabbing the mud and muck bottom of the Red river. These sink weird, but hold well in the current. If you anchor over rock?....thats a good question.

The biggest problem that we run into with anchors not holding properly is how much rope is used. In order to get an anchor to dig into the bottom properly, take the depth of water you are in and multiply by 5. ie in 20' of water use 100' of rope. This reduces the angle on the rope allowing the anchor to dig into the bottom. I use a Water Spike anchor that weighs about 6lbs to hold my 1650 Lund. So more weight isnt allways necessary.
If you are in the Owatonna Cabelas this weekend look me up, I'm in the marine dept, and I will help you out.

Rob

I'm with Jim W. After using a number of other anchors I picked up one of the Richter anchors a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. Like Rob said though make sure you have enough rope.

The best anchor out there in my opinion is the Water Spike. I have an 18ft Crestliner ProAm and have had it hold me in all kinds of wind and current. It has even held my boat on a downward slope! It does come down to how much rope is used as well.
These anchors are VERY light and even fold up flat for storage...better yet, they are made in Minnesota.
GullGuide
>"////=<

Thanks for all the info on anchors gise.
Was in Cabelas today Rob but didn't read your message until after we got home. Haven't bought new anchor yet so maybe when we get around to it we will check with you. We did drop a big chuck of change there thow and we are all set for the year except for the anchor. Thanks Again Mary

I must say after fishing Mille Lacs, Canadian waters, Big Ball Club, my lake which is strictly a sand lake, the most consistent all around anchor which out performed everyone is my trusty 18lb. navy anchor. Many of boats could not hold on the fish however I was able to with this anchor and approximately 50 ft. of rope. Must remember to much rope and the wind will shift you off the fish!
Jeff K.