• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone Lake Fishing Reports by Gateway North Outfitters

Went to the Clearwater/Pipestone chain June 25 to June 28. Fishing was tough. Mayflies just hatched. Could see many fish holding up in trees and many follows, but bites were hard to come by. Used many presentations; jigging, crankbaits, swimbaits, and plastics.

Went to Cedar Lake, a portage lake, and did very well. Around 40 Bass and northerns in about 4 hours.

Overall, the weather was good and fishing was ok.

ovechkin, I am heading up to these lakes soon. Where did you stay and where did you spend most of your time fishing? Was this your first time on the lake? Were your follows musky? How did you get to the portage lake? Thanks, jksfishin

we stayed at Trails End Lodge, nice place. We spent our days fishing the north and south portage lakes, that are accessed by a rail way you put your boat on. $25 for the north and $20 for the south.

We were there last year too. Clearwater is just as the name suggests, very clear water. Tough to fish during the day. Northern portage lakes are clear and southern portage lakes are stained a bit.

Most of the follows were Smallmouth and northerns, but we did have a couple of musky follows in Slender lake.

The smallmouth were slower with the mayflies and all real tight to cover. The mayflies have disapated now and things are picking back up. The walleye fishing on Pipestone has been real good so far this season. The morning and evening bite ahs been the best, but still good most days. The walleyes on Off Lake have been good too. Doing real well working weed lines with a lindy and leech. Here is a picture of a nice Pipestone Lake walleye caught last week.

P1000700.jpg

Did some work at the cabin today and fished for a bit after. Found the walleyes on reefs with some weeds in 12-18 fow. Leeches worked best. Excellent walleye fishing without the long drive and boat in only lake - no road access.

Walleye-Pipestone.jpg

Walleye-Pipestone1.jpg

Walleye.jpg

The group this past week caught lots of walleye. Lots of eater size and the 2 largest were 27.5". Numerous others caught in the 20-23" range. 3 muskies up to 40" were also boated. I will post photos when I receive them.

I am getting ready for a trip to clearwater lake this friday. I am hoping you can give me some advice on the area. How the fishing has been lately, what the walleye are biting on and techniques you would suggest. I am from kansas and walleye fishing is a little different here, windy mud flats are where the fish are. I have fished walleye in the ELy MN area but never been to Canada. Any help would be great!

thanks,

Indian Reef has been good lately. Catching lots of walleyes there as well as bass. I don't recognize the Clearwater1964 name, you'll have to fill me in. Are you heading up anytime soon? The fishing has excellent for most of the season so far.

What is the latest report for Pipestone? I was up mid July and did the jig and leech in weeds, on rocks near deep water. Very winby but eyes were biting mid day in 12-18 feet - biggest walleye 13lb 9oz - caught and released on your cabin's end of the lake. Plenty of trout ate them grilled 4 times during the week. Coming up for quick trip over Labor Day. Any thoughts about going after the eyes then?

Hey Superbee = hope all is well!

Whats the water temp in your direction lately??

I am hoping it drops quite a bit more in the next few weeks - but its been so dang hot lately!!

However, I did see night temps are now supposed to get down in the 40's this week - so hopefully the water temps start to drop!

Spent the long weekend up at the Clearwater Pipestone chain.

Fishing was tremendous on Clearwater at dark, we would start fishing at about 7:00 and fish until about 10:00. We would boat between 20-50 each night, usually toughing out a limit of keepers with a lot of dinkers mixed in. Biggest was 24".

Headed up to Pipestone for 1 afternoon and caught 5 lakers for 2 boats. The graph was lit up like a Christmas Tree the entire time.

Headed down to Rice to look for crappies 1 day, only found 1, 11.5". Lots of pike in VERY shallow, and a couple of 'eyes mixed in.

All in all a tremendous weekend.

Just curious how familar you are with this body of water? I am heading up there for the first time with my family in mid June. Is it a evening/night bite only? We are staying on the South end of the lake near the South mechanical portage. Is there decent fishing in this area? Did you use the mechanical portages? What does it cost to use them? Thanks!

Yeah, my buddies cabin is actually in the south channel, so I am familiar with the area.

As for clearwater, yes I would say in my 15 years or so of fishing it that is for surely a low light bight. Maybe on an overcast day you could have some mid day action.

Your best bet is really to use the portage to the south. All of those lakes are more stained and you can have more luck during the day. Stop and try Rice or keep going up toward Jackfish, we've caught em during the middle of the day up there.

Otherwise if your just trying to get on some fish for the family you may wanna target pike or smallies on clearwater during the day.

The portages are $25 and are very simple to use. We usaully portage once or twice each trip up there. Let me know if theres anything else I could help with.

Thanks for the reply Drezler. What kind of structure and depth were you fishing the walleyes on, shoreline breaks, points, reefs? Is the pike and smallie fishing decent in Clearwater? I also heard that the perch and muskie fishing were good...any truth to that. I would like to try the portage a time or two, so I will head South. Is Rice the first lake you come to? and then Jackfish? Have you been able to find maps of the chain? Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks.

Walleyes for us were relating to shoreline breaks and points. Starting in deeper water like 40' earlier, up to 15' at dark. If you have a good graph it is pretty easy to see them up there.

Pike and smallie fishing are both good up there. We don't do a lot of it, and we're not that good at it, but if we pursue them we can usaully run into some.

The musky fishing I would say is very good. We always catch 1-3 on accident, even before Musky season begins. Last year my buddy that owns the cabin caught a few around 40" and does not really even fish them. The whole chain has a 48" minimum on Muskies that can be kept so you know theres some hogs up there!!

When you portage south you go through a couple of smaller lakes and than the mile river, Rice Lake is the next lake after the mile river. Then you have to go through 1-2 more lakes to hit Jackfish, with I think Despair? in between. Despair however could also be good.

There is some really good info if you google the websites from some of the outfitters up there including: L and M outfitters, Hideaway Lodge, Pipestone Fly Ins, Ross's Camp, or just plain google clearwater pipestone chain and see what you come up with.

I have never seen an actual map with any types of countours, but it should be very easy for you to get yourself a map of the chain to shows you the name and shape of each lake.