• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pipestone Lake Fishing Reports by Gateway North Outfitters

Just returned from 3 days with GNO. I'd like to thank Lucas and Nicole for the great accomodations, and the great tips on where to head! The scenery was absolutely breathtaking on the 25 mile sled ride up to Pipestone, and the fishing was great considering the short amount of time we were there. I'll let the pics do the talking...

Otter we saw while fishing lakers. We caught one about 50 yards from his hole...

img0384s.jpg

First laker of the trip...

img0349v.jpg

Chris with a 15" crappie...

chrisb15.jpg

Chad w/ a nice laker...

chadlaker.jpg

Another nice laker...

lakerheadongillz.jpg

Another Off Lake giant...

offlakeslob.jpg

I highly suggest anyone thinking about a Canada fishing adventure look up Lucas and Gateway North Outfitters. We had a great time, and will most definitely be back!

hookset, one portage around the narrows on Pipestone was void of snow when we left, and it was full of boulders. Wasn't pretty. I would imagine you could snake your way around the main path with time and care....

Went up Pipestone today. When I came back late this afternoon, the lake was just slushy snow and 3" or so of water all over the lake. The portages are deteriorating fast of snow. If you come up, I would recommend a wheeler, it was very hard going in the afternoon with a snowmachine. If you have any questions, shoot me an email.

Going to resort on clearwater lake next week,can anybody help with planning ie type of lures to bring for lake trout,walleye,and bass. And what areas to fish for each fish.The more specific the better.

Thanks for the help. gruch

Where will you be staying? The trout are around 50 feet on Pipestone right now. Jigging white tubes has been productive and trolling black silver stick baits. The only guests we have had on Pipestone are fishing lakers. The walleyes jig/minnow or spinners/minnow. Do you plan on fishing Clearwater, Pipestone, or the South portage lakes for walleye? I can help better if you give some more specifics. Hoffer might chime in too and have some pointers for the Jackfish area.

Hey, Superbee you are the expert on Pipestone/Clearwater!!

Seriously, I havent fished jackfish in the Spring before - its always during the Fall time period. I do know the guys that go up in our group in May fish shallower spots and anywhere you can find current or feeder rivers etc.. for the eyes. We have had great luck with bigger fish in the Fall trolling deep diving lures near shorelines that are adjacent to deeper water. usually where we go you can just watch your depth finder and spot fish - then stop and slow troll lindys. However, for bigger fish we have had better luck in deeper water - but again that is in the fall. Superbee knows the area well..if you are going up to Pipestone or Clearwater - you should stay at one of his resorts and he will put you on fish :-)

I forgot that you only fished Jackfish in the fall. When is your trip this spring on the stretch? Maybe I will see you up there.

Gruch - I can help you with spots for Clearwater/Pipestone, email or stop by when you are up.

Seven Fingers - Joe was gone when I came to the area. I have heard he was a character from lots of different people. you stayed at the old Rainbow Lodge on Off Lake then. We are located on the other end and Rainbow has closed down since then. I see your location is Redgut, do you have a cabin there?

[PoorWordUsage] at the North portage this time of year. Terry knows Clearwater pretty good and will point you in the right direction. On Pipestone I mailny fish the North end of the lake since it is closer to my cabin. The area around Gates Ajar, the NW Arm, and Schistose. Thompson Bay is good early too, it is usually best around opener into June.

We fished Kairschons every memorial day for about 25 years from the late sixties until the early nineties. Good times and great trout fishing. We have had a cabin on Redgut for thirty five years, and the fishing keeps getting better, thanks to the new rules and limits.

How are the water levels in Clearwater/Pipestone this year so far? How is the season progressing? I'm hearing that mother nature is moving along quickly this year with the warm weather and early ice out.

Thompson bay is good for walleyes from mid may to early june. You can fish on the north side of the bay, starting just west of the last cabin on the north shoreline. You can troll back and forth out in front of the cabins and catch eyes. You can also troll on the south side of boulder island in thompson bay in front of the cabins and catch eyes also. It is especially good when there is a bit of wind blowing into the shorelines.

Thompson bay will really slow down as we get into summer, it has some of the shallowest water in pipestone, so it warms up fast. Once it is around 75F water temp, most of the fish have moved to cooler water. Of course you can still catch a few fish, small bank runner bass, and some snake pike, but the good fishing in thompson bay is early in the season.

If you are staying on clearwater, you are looking at a 20+ mile trip up to thompson bay from where you will be.

Good info to have, Thanks!! We'll be staying on Pipestone in early July. Sounds like we should't put much time and effort into Thompson Bay...We fished it quite a bit at the end of July last year, hmmm maybe that's why all we got were some random bass and a few pike smirk Where would you focus your efforts in early July?