• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiger in Minnesota

tom_w

Nice work Tom. You are one up on me. What did the tiger trout hit on? How did it feel? More silky like a brookie? Better yet, how did it taste? J/K.

Quote:
Did minnesota ever do any stocking of them? I don't know of any tiger stocking in particular, what a rare fish to find if it's wild born!

I heard tiger trout were exclusively stocked in the great lakes. There is a GIANT tiger caught Len showed me a photo of a while back. They can grow really fast in the big lakes however the striping not nearly as pretty as a stream trout brookie which was NOT hatchery raised. Female brook and a male brown. It is rare and a tiger is sterile.

stream born tigers in the midwest resemble their fathers more than their mother. If you see a tiger that looks more like a brown it is for sure a stocker. Tom's obviously is a stream born tiger and VERY rare. The brook trout traits are more obvious and the colors are beautiful.

Please read forum policy before posting again. Thanks)

Tiger trout are hybrid fish that are not stocked but reproduce naturally. They are a bit of a freak of nature. They are sterile, so they don't reproduce offspring. They are aggressive by nature and typically don't grow very large due to that trait. They occur when you have numbers of brown and brook trout in a stream. Wisconsin certainly produces more tigers since they have more trout water and more waters that hold both browns and brookies.