• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Early October Trip for MN Walleyes

pjwalleye1

Although I'm a diehard Winnie/Cutfoot guy, honestly, Lake of the Woods is nothing short of phenomenal, especially IF the shiners have come in to the Gap/4-mile Bay/River area. If you hit it just right, and the big girls have moved in to feed, you may never catch as many trophy fish in your lifetime!!

TO,

I've seen you mention the Federal Dam area several times on this board. I also fish up in Portage Bay quite a bit in the fall, but usually am after muskies and don't have much experience with the walleye and perch bite this time of year.

Next weekend I'm taking a friend up there who hasn't fished much before. We'll fish some muskies, but I'd also like to find a little more action with a few walleye or perch.

Would you mind offering a little advice? I'm not looking for specific spots, just a few tips on getting started so I can keep my fishing partner interested. Is there a certain depth to look for or are the fish scattered? What presentation and bait should I start with?

Is it as simple as fishing the breakline just outside the bouys at federal dam with all the other boats?

Any advice would help! Thanks.

TO,

I've seen you mention the Federal Dam area several times on this board. I also fish up in Portage Bay quite a bit in the fall, but usually am after muskies and don't have much experience with the walleye and perch bite this time of year.

Next weekend I'm taking a friend up there who hasn't fished much before. We'll fish some muskies, but I'd also like to find a little more action with a few walleye or perch.

Would you mind offering a little advice? I'm not looking for specific spots, just a few tips on getting started so I can keep my fishing partner interested. Is there a certain depth to look for or are the fish scattered? What presentation and bait should I start with?

Is it as simple as fishing the breakline just outside the bouys at federal dam with all the other boats?

Any advice would help! Thanks.

Send me an e-mail before Wednesday afternoon and I'll get you rolling.

[email protected]

TO,

Would you be willing to share a little info with me too? I was up there the same time frame as you last October but didn't have anywhere near the success you had. My family and I are heading back this year from October 9th through the 18th.

Thanks,

FishingPops

TO,

Would you be willing to share a little info with me too? I was up there the same time frame as you last October but didn't have anywhere near the success you had. My family and I are heading back this year from October 9th through the 18th.

Thanks,

FishingPops

Sure, I can try to help. Send me an e-mail to address above.