• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best deer hunting slug-sabot / longest range/ value?

So I shot 3 boxes of the Federal Barnes Xpander tips yesterday and could not get any consistency. Thanks for the tip though Rum! I tried those because I always used to to shoot the Federal Vital shoks and they shot well. I tried the hornadys last year and I don't think I gave them much of chance because I was rushed. I guess it is between those and the lightfields. Any other advice???? Thanks everyone.

I've always used Winchester Partition Gold (2 3/4"). They've always worked well for me, but they do have quite a thump and I may be switching because of cost. zeroing the gun every year is painful for many reasons when you shell out $15 a box.

So I shot 3 boxes of the Federal Barnes Xpander tips yesterday and could not get any consistency. Thanks for the tip though Rum! I tried those because I always used to to shoot the Federal Vital shoks and they shot well. I tried the hornadys last year and I don't think I gave them much of chance because I was rushed. I guess it is between those and the lightfields. Any other advice???? Thanks everyone.

I am curious what kind of groups you were able to shoot.

What gun were you using?

I've shot the Remington copper solids 2 3/4", for the last 3 rs. now and haven't found anything I like better for consistency, and knock down. I've shot deer at 130yds to as close as 50yds and never had a deer go any further than 50yds. my $.02

Well, i shoot a 1187 fully rifle 12ga and I started shooting Hornady for anything under 50-yards, because it's usually about 1 to 1 1/2 inch high for anything under 50 yards, but its dead on at/around 100 yards (i'm guessing the bullet is set to fly a little higher then normal to hit beyond 50 yards)<-- information read on the back of the box.

Anything beyond/around 100+ yard i would prefer shooting Winchster Supreme XP3. There set to be about 2 inches high within 50 yards, and man I can hit dead on out to 150 yards.

If you have something that groups well, use it. I have tried others but the winchester partion gold 2 3/4 work the best in my gun. Remington solid coppers were the worst. I haven't had an opportunity to try the hornady, but I was hitting a bowling pin on some rebar at 100 yards with the winchester. I hate paying 15-18 bucks a box for them, but I only take one or two shots a year. I shoot more when I am sighting in. I Might try the hornady's this fall when I sight in, or just save myself the 30 bucks....

Oops, forgot to mention, I shoot and 870 with a rifled barrel and open sights, so my range is one hundred yards....