Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MARINERMAGNUM

Take your camera to Sturgis?

9 posts in this topic

I thought about doing it this year. I'm sure there would be substancial photo ops,but maybe very few "G" rated?

Anybody ever thought about doing a photo journalistic dealio out there? I'm sure there would be alot of subjects with a great deal of "character" in their faces. smile

I would, just avoid taking a photo of anyone with a "three peice patch", as that could cause a problem.

Should be some "colorfull" pictures to say the least. wink

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Make sure your gear is insured, and check whether you can carry a handgun without a permit in South Dakota. A competent photographer with subjects like that will produce memorable images.

If the photographer survives. winkwink

I'm joshin ya, buddy. I've photographed bikers before, and the few times I've done it they were totally cool with it. They may celebrate the fact that they have a Harley between their legs, but they also like it that you're shooting at them with a big Canon. With bikers, size REALLY matters. gringrin

Quote:
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Road trip? Want to ride on the back of my hog, b$%#ch? gringrin

Unfortunately, my "hog" has to be pedaled!

Quote:
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Road trip? Want to ride on the back of my hog, b$%#ch? gringrin

Unfortunately, my "hog" has to be pedaled!

OMG! Who are you, and what did you do with finnbay? gringrin

Absolutely I'd take a camera to Sturgis, no question! I'm sure you're right, the opportunities for G rated shots might be limited, but the PG shots would make up for it. smile

It's amazing how far reaching Sturgis has become. This weekend I saw a sign outside a bar in a small town on Hwy 2 in WA that said (roughly, this is from memory)

"1,170 miles to Sturgis

Bubba wants a t-shirt!"

John, that's a way cool sign.

A thousand years ago I used to tend bar at a beer/wine establishment that could stay open later than regular bars on Sundays.

That brought in droves of college kids and bikers. The college kids couldn't handle their booze, and caused a lot of trouble. Typical whiny stuff. The bikers held their booze as you'd expect, and they partied hard but never gave me a lick of trouble when it came time to clear the place at the end of the night.

And no, I'm not romanticising bikers. They can be some of the toughest dudes, and the most criminal. But they aren't all that way.

MM, I hope you go. You won't be the only shooter there (golly, I mean you won't be the only PHOTOGRAPHER there gringrin), but you'll probably be the only photographer whose name I know.

My neighbor asked me if I wanted to come along with him and his freinds to document the trip. I thought about it but decided against it mainly because I didn't think I would like the crowds, and to honest,I don't care for motorcycles.

I have know doubt the photo opportunities would be great.

Having been there every year but3 ( including this year) since 1990 I have to tell you something, Steve and Finn, you have never seen wild life like this lol. Next year I will go and shoot the place up for you people.