• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

115 Yamaha ?

Dusty

I have a 115 Yamaha that I have just noticed a slight amount of blue smoke at start up once in a while. The motor is an 2002 which I have owned since new. I estimate the motor has about 1500 hrs on it. I check the oil level regularly and haven't had to add any oil. Just wondering if this is the start of a problem? Other than that the motor has never been a problem.

I have been using Yamaha's for a number of years now. They do tend to do that when they get older. They will need the oil changed a little more often when they get older. That was a tip from a Yamaha tech a few years ago. I change mine on my 05' when the oil first gets dirty/dark and it has all but eliminated the start up smoke.

"Ace"

For sure. Its had nothing but Amsoil 4 stroke. I put a lot of hours on it and dont baby it. I troll all day and its 41- 45 mph all the way home.

I just switched my oil out tonight. Still in a bucket if ya want it.

My e-mail is below. I live in Superior so I could even run it to them. Maybe get a free case of oil out of the deal. wink

I have a 2 stroke 98 150 yamaha. I see the blue smoke on the initial start in the morning also. Does your motor fire up right away? Mine takes 4-5 seconds in the morning. Is this good or bad? Just wondering if you have the same issues.

i also have a 2002 115 yamaha. have had no problems until last weekend. was trolling in forward and put the motor in neutral. heard a loud grinding noise like gears grinding and the motor shut off. no overheat light or oil ligts came on. lost no oil out of motor. prop still spun. motor would not strart at all. had to use trolling motor to limp it back to the landing. any ideas what may have happened...

I have a 2 stroke 98 150 yamaha. I see the blue smoke on the initial start in the morning also. Does your motor fire up right away? Mine takes 4-5 seconds in the morning. Is this good or bad? Just wondering if you have the same issues.

You're comparing a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke... tough to make any good comparisons there. Sounds like your motor is about normal for a 2 stroke... I presume when you try to start it, you're priming the primer bulb, choking the motor, and raising the rpm's via the neutral warmup lever / button?

marine_man

i also have a 2002 115 yamaha. have had no problems until last weekend. was trolling in forward and put the motor in neutral. heard a loud grinding noise like gears grinding and the motor shut off. no overheat light or oil ligts came on. lost no oil out of motor. prop still spun. motor would not strart at all. had to use trolling motor to limp it back to the landing. any ideas what may have happened...

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

Wow.. tough to say for sure what the deal is there, but it almost sounds like a failure in the lower unit...

marine_man