• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wall Tent

Doop

I've never stayed in one......how big would it have to be

to hold 4-5 guys, and a small wood stove? I think the biggest I've seen so far is a 18X23...is that over-kill?

Anyone have any experiences with these things? Looking to buy one but they are not cheap....anyone know where a guy could get a used one?

My hunting party has been useing one for 20 + years...16-32 army medium. We've had up to 14 guys (all with cots) but it's pretty full then. 10 is fine. more space is usually a plus, I'd look for a Army general purpose small (16 x 16) for 4-5 guys w/stove.

Do you think an army tent will stand up in the harsh winter conditions? I sent a guy a message on HSO-Classifieds about one of his army tents and he didn't suggest using the tent in winter.

I can't imagine why he would say that. We've had ours set up during early november every year, had it covered with snow, ice, etc...and treated it roughly with no issues at all. I'd totally recommend them for winter, keeping in mind any canvas tent needs to be dried somehow before storing.

A 12x20' wall tent for 4 or 5 men with cots and gear plus a small stove sould be fine. Tape or rope off an area that size and set items in it to get a feel for the space. If you need more space say for cook shack, use a seperate tent or screen house with tarps to block the wind.

Other than military surplus outlets I don't know where you can buy used.

Call and talk to Roy at Davis Tent in CO. Family business been building wall tents for a long time. Very knowledgeable.

They build outfitter setups for elk camps and such that stay up for 6-8 months at a time. -20* isn't an issue with a good sized stove.

14x16 is good for 3-4 guys + gear and cooking/stove space. 18x23 sounds like plenty of room for 4-5 guys. If you have room where you camp for more size, I would always go with the biggest one you are considering.

I gave up on finding a used one that would exactly meet our needs. When considering if you take care of the tent it will last you 30-40 years, spending $1,500-$2k isn't that bad when amortized over the years.

We have a 14x17 from Canvas Craft and it sleeps 5 comfortably with a good size woodstove which we use to cook on also. We have had it in Colorado on elk hunts and been through plenty of wind and snow. It has heavy duty Canvas.

We got everything but the poles from canvas craft. We built the poles ourselves out of 1" conduit to save a little money.

Check out their prices online, they are reasonably priced.

Cabelas has a Montana Lodge Tent that is new...kinda spendy...what do you guys think of it? It puts the stove in the middle and the material it's made out of is much lighter...but claims to be just as durable as old canvas tents.

I'm not really wanting to spend that much money....but was wondering what you guys with more experience thought of it?

If it's a Cabelas tent it's a quality tent. I have the Cabelas XWT 12x12 and love it. You can use the Cabelas talk forum to ask questions about the tent your interested in to get feedback from people who have that model.

Bottom line is if you spend less money on a cheaper tent you will end up buying a tent again and then you will probably spend more anyhow to avoid doing it a third time. Spend more now and save in the long run.

Cabela's wall tents are from Montana Canvas in Belgrade MT. I have a 12x14 that I picked up directly at their store. They are a nice tent. I did get the Relite sides which is a heavy nylon type material instead of canvas. I think I would have preferred to get canvas on sides. Have used it in below 0 weather and have been fine. When you think of getting a woodstove to heat it, look at Riley stoves out of Townsend MT. They make one of the better packable stove setups. The guys recommending Davis tents are also right on. Davis and Montana Canvas make the best wall tents in my opinion. You get what you pay for in this world. A 12 by 20 or 14 by 20 should fit your needs.

Bang for the buck, you can't do any better than an army tent. Unless weight is an issue that is. I'm sure some of the companies out west make a great product that would be better for, say, horse camping where you have to pack it in. But if you have the space, army tents last forever and are reasonable.