• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are You Hooked?

Buck_Story

A few years back I was fishing topwater in shorts. I hooked a fish and it jumped and threw the lure back at me...a POP-R. One set of treble hooks came back and hit me on top of my thigh, burying one treble hook past the curve of the hook, well past the barb. Hurt like H*LL. I had a hard time doing it, but I had to push the hook further in and back up to get the barb to come out of the skin. It took at least 30 minutes to get it to where I could cut the barb off and back out the rest of the hook. Like an [PoorWordUsage], I fished for the next 12 hours and then went to the doctor because I had red streeks running up my leg where the hook had been....the start of a bad infection. I had to listen to my wife and the doctor....not sure who was worse.

I was about 10 years old, at the cabin, when I hooked myself square in the back of the head. I was learning to cast over head when my lure snagged a tree branch, and I yanked it as hard as the monster northern lure freed! Straight into the back of my skull....

A trip to the ER (it was a Sunday), 2 Doctors, 1 nurse and over an hour of pure h@#$. Pain killers didn't work, and they had to drill my skull a bit to get the monster treble hook and barb out. cry

The other hooking incident was not me, but during a tournament my partner casted our super-secret-discontinued crankbait into the air when a mallard flew directly into it's path.

My friend yelled "oh no!", yanked on the rod...hooked the duck in the back and the line snapped. "No, No, NO!!" The duck continued on it's path. It's was funny at the time, and the duck probably wasn't harmed as it appeard fine as it flew into the horizon. Can only imagine if that duck is shot during hunting season...

1st story---fishin 3 out of a boat and my buddy was castin on the other side of the boat and went to cast and his spook caught my back as he took a cast, it was a good backwards hook set. Pulled it out with a pliers. Gave him one heck of a backlash though, served him right!!!

2nd story---my brother was fishin a buzzbait and had a good explosion and set the hook and lure came flyin at me, had to jerk my head out of the way, what i forgot about was my $150 pair of new costa del mar sunglasses on the top of my head. They went right into the drink. Good thing he paid for half of a new pair

Fly fishin I have hooked a few birds.

I have hooked myself many times but never past the barb so more or less I poked myself.

I took a friend of mine out fly fishin a small pond one day and I look over and he was getting all "a river runs through it" with some sort of wacky casting. Well he ended up with the fly in his cheek. I laughed so fricken hard and he was getting [PoorWordUsage]. It looked just like a bug landed on his face. I told him to hold on while I get the camera. Well he kicked me hard in the leg and would not let me take a picture of it. I did the ole push down on the eyelet while pulling the bend with a piece of looped line. Well the first attempt of removing it didnt work out so well. I gave it a good pull and his cheek just bulged out and I started laughing. I had to give myself about 5 mins to compose myself for the second attempt. It was successful and left a little tear drop of blood tricking down his cheek to match the one coming out of his eye.

I accidentally snagged a manatee once. my dad and I where with a guide is Florida. I casted and we didn't see a manatee under water. The line went over his back and the hook briefly stuck him. It came out though and it was fine. Slapped it's tail to get away though.

I was night fishing below a dam while on vacation in Tennesse last year. I was throwing a chug bug and could only tell where it was by the noise. I launched it out into the river and thought that I heard it land. As soon as I started reeling in, there was a quick hard pull. I leaned back and bent that rod down to the handle hoping to wrestle a monster bass. The lights from the dam were 200 yard away, so it was really blurry, but my monster bass was actually a great blue herron cruising over the river. My hookset pulled that thing out of the sky like a ton of bricks. It hit the water sqwauking and screaming, thrashed around and took off. I reeled in my lure and there was a pile of feathers on both hooks.

I hooked a 7000 ton submarine while I was in the service.

My tackle really did not stand much of a chance against that.

Fishing off the side of my sub during a port visit in Charleston casting adn got a favorable wind at the wrong moment.

That was the end of a lure adn a spool of line.

One time I was letting out an anchor fishing in a canoe near the bwca.

I'd left a rapala on the floor of the canoe a few minutes earlier. As I let out the anchor line one of the rap's trebles caught the line and the other caught my finger. I was wondering what was happening as my hand was suddenly pulled under the water. Had to hold the anchor up with my knee as I took a pliers to the hook with my free hand.

Personally never been hooked but I've been a part of two pretty crazy hook removals. 1st, my brother and I on the morning of fishing opener. He's got a rapala hanging from his rear view mirror. (Big no no) he's pointing at this and that and somehow gets this rap big time sunk into his forearm... ouch. blood everywhere he continues to drive asking me to get it out. With a needlenose I work it out as he continues to drive. Not too smart & Nice scar. 2nd story. I'm up on Bad Medicine Lake near Itasca fishing for Pike with the resort owners kid (about 16) and his black lab. As the kid pulls his #13 Orange floating rap in from a cast the Lab lunges and chomps down on the lure. The kid freaks out as the dog begins to toss and turn struggling with the hooks in the tongue and throat. I kept my cool, aked the kid to try to hold the dog still and keep his mouth open as I used a needlenose to romove the trebles one by one. I ended up with more blood loss than the dog but am glad to say that Rosko was no worse for wear and I think the kid was psycologically ok too. On a side note, I did knock a sparrow out of the air while casting a frog one time... Kinda sad to kill a bird for no reason but seriously... what are the odds of that. I also hooked a gull in the foot without knowing it and had it attempt to take off only to see my line move quickly to the right and then realize that the dang thing is flying... I slowly realed it in had my buddy restrain it with a net and a life vest while I performed minor hook removal surgery. It flew off a bit confused I think.