Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catmendo

Cedar Waxwing...

7 posts in this topic

I ended up with some decent results on waxwings this morning as they were all over my maples.

IMG_4090ps-keeper-1.png

I thought I'd throw this re-done hummer into the mix too. I cropped it tight in an attempt to show more detail on this beautiful species.

IMG_0451PS-recropjpg-1.png

The detail is beautiful on both. Wonder what the waxwings were finding in the maples. I like the crop. There is something pleasing about the proportions, and it brings out the amazing similarity in the colorings of the bird and the blossoms--both the green and the rusty ruby. Is it possible to include the entire blossom on the top and left, or does that just open it up to more incomplete blossoms?

Thank you kindly Sarah!

First the hummer crop, what you see is basically what you get. As you can see very little of the original photo was cropped out. The reason for this was the photo was catured on my 500 f.4 and if the hummer had been any closer I would not have been able to focus! wink

IMG_0451PH-1.png

Now the waxwing. Their diet consists of both fiber & protien. If you look close at this photo you can see the bird has a mouthful (beak full) of maple seeds. They are also feeding on some type of tiny flying insects, for they will rocket upwards ten to twenty fet above the maple tree, grab the insect and then return to the tree.

IMG_4002ps-1.png

Nice shots Stu!

I forget that you would still have the seeds on the trees instead of sprouting in the garden like they are here. I do really like the crop, even though I normally prefer the entire bird and some environment. In this case, color has a much greater impact. And you do have the little pollen tips available on the original flowers. Did you warm up the background color just a touch, or does it just appear that way? Might be what brings the color similarity to my attention more.

The waxwing image is very nice good dof from beak to tail. I really enjoy the full frame hummer image, cool to see it foraging on those unique blossoms and the bg is beautiful.