• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

U.S. Open Champion?

SunneyeDay

I know its the U.S open and not supposed to be fair but but they have 4 par 4's that are over 500 yards this year. It takes 75% of the field out of it from the get go. I would like to see some oportunities to score. The only hope that they have is they can stop it on some of these saturated greens.

Over time, the U.S. Open's responses to criticisms that it's too difficult have included the desire to "protect the integrity of par."

Sheesh. gringringrin

To me it doesn't matter whether the winner is -18 on a course that's relatively easy by pro standards or +5 on a really tough course. In fact, sometimes I like watching the very best players in all the world fight hard for pars. Give 'em 30 mph wind at St. Andrews and you'll REALLY see what they can do. For me that's more awe-inspiring than watching someone tear into a -21 on soft greens in calm conditions. smilesmile

Even though he's like 10 shots back are you really that blind to the fact that he could still win? It IS possible but I will say that the odds are long! Anyway, looks like your picks are doing well...

Fanboy love. Love is blind.

3 out of 4 made the cut anyway. I didn't take the easy way out and pick Tiger or Phil. I gave it a shot.

Doesn't even seem like the U.S. Open out there. No rock hard greens and the guys aren't even struggling that much.

I doubt I'll eat crow on the Tiger thing but I'm willing to give it a try if it happens. wink

Yeah, it is more likely that he won't win but now he's only 7 back... You're right it really doesn't seem like an open this year. How would you prepare the crow if it happnes? smile

I'd have to marinate the #*^@ out of it.

Boy you can sure see the nerves coming into play now.

I'm pulling for Duval now though. Kind of reminds me of Norman at the open championship last year. Who'd a thunk it!

An interesting monday - Tiger is finished at even for the tourney. Not bad considering he had to play in that opening day rain and posted a 74. -1,-2, and -1 the next three days.

Phil is sitting one back of the leader with 4 to go. That place has to be electric! Wait, Phil just bombed in a par put and is tied with the leader Lucas Glover. You could see Glover falling apart on his back nine yesterday...

Oh no, Lefty threw up a bogey on 17 and is one back. Looks like maybe another second place in the US open for him???

One of my bosses is there now. He had thursday tickets which got rained out, so he got to use them today - that worked out well...

Glad to see Glover pull it out. It would have been great if either Phil or Duval won, too. I never cared too much for Barnes, though I wasn't pulling for him to blow up like he did today.

It wasn't only the players succumbing to Open pressure. While I liked watching Johnny Miller play (I was a junior golfer when he won the '73 U.S. Open), I don't much care for him as a commentator in the first place because he's such a poor mouth. And today he was even more negative and critical than usual, and argumentative with his fellow commentators on top of it. It was worse during the ESPN early coverage, so probably an NBC producer told him to stick a sock in it when they switched to NBC.

It was indeed a wild and wooly finish. I'd sure like to see Duval back for good. Climbing into second place in the U.S. Open from the 882nd ranked player in the world is pretty good. smilesmile

Last but not least, prayers going out to Phil and Amy Mickelson and their friends and family. Amy emerging healthy from breast cancer is far more important than Phil emerging with a U.S. Open trophy.

Well said Steve and I concur on everything you stated. I really wanted Phil to win it but all things considered its just a Game and means nothing compared to what the Mickelson's and others are going through!

Vook keep the Crank bait I just wanted to win!... grin

Alright double or nothing on the British.. how about something along the lines of we both pic 3 golfers other than Tiger and who ever has more official money Wins? or we could keep it the same if you want! Your Call!

Pier!

Sounds like a plan. You're on! smile

Sounds that way. Let's do this- The three of us pick one rotating until we get 3 total. Then we take the total money won from the British from our 3 golfers to determine a winner. No tigers allowed! Lumpy however is... smile

I've always liked Westwood and McIlroy is an up and comer who played solid in the US Open! You probably got pretty decent odds on picking him!

I still think I'll walk through this FM Golf Pool no problem but maybe we can have a 2nd prize so you guys have something to play for!... grin