• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullheads

bobbymalone

I have been having a terrible time catching bullheads this year. I live in the SE metro and most of my spots are really low and SUPER weedy. I usually fish smaller lakes/ponds, pretty shallow with a deeper hole of maybe 15-25 feet

Where are the bullheads at right now? In the shallows, the weeds, or out in the middle of the lake?

I am thinking about trying from my canoe but I don't want the hassle just to catch a handful of bullheads.

Moore's is great, in a pinch, but hate I paying for bullheads when I can easily get them for free as long as I am fishing for something else. grin

I know what will shut my bullhead spots down very quick. Northerns wink If they move in the bullies move out. Got six of them in one spot last week and only a half dozen bullies. I get a northern in my of my spots I am done and gone from now on tell they move out. Best thing at this point is inform the local bait shop(s) of an awesome northern bite at your bully spot. Hopefully they will get picked out by some word of mouth angling.

It could be the tail end of the spawn for them also like LH said. I read some where’s that both the male and female tend to the nest for about a week until the young hatch.

Either way the white suckers are still biting good in deeper holes in small creeks and rivers that hold them. River rig and a long crawler seems to be the choice going now.

The next couple days will be catching up on some needed bullies though. Good luck and hope you find them.

My ponds are really shallow too. I got 21 nice ones yesterday but I had to work for 2 hours to get them. Lots of weeds where I fish too and it was a hassle working in and around the weeds. I was fishing a 1/8 ounce yellow jighead tipped with a piece of nightcrawler under a slip bobber fishing about 3 feet deep. I caught quite a few perch and sunnies mixed in with the bullheads.

My favorite pond is almost worthless this year. It is full of small 3" bullheads and that is all I can seem to catch.

I like catching them by hook and line...at least partly because i don't have or know how to seine for them. Also, I only need a half a dozen or so at a time. I don't think my lakes have suffered from a hard winterkill because I can still catch a lot sunnies.

It's really frustrating when you can't catch a bullhead.

Thanks for the info and tips though, I'll be back out scouting new spots and new lakes later this week.

My Bullhead is AWESOME! its litteraly as fast as you cast out, you got one! seriously! My Brother goes there every spring with his buddy and catch 100ea (or whatever the limit is) in a morning for a big fish fry.... I had about 25 of them in 40 minutes last wed. The hardest part was putting the corn on the hook. Worms are way better multiple fish per baiting.

We netted it once.....the handle slipped out of my hand and all of them got away...there were HUNDREDS in the net! My buddy on the other end of the net wasnt too happy!

(insert red face here)