• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance HDS 7 Problem

Chirofish

Have any of ya'll had problems with the HDS' not holding your settings? I keep changing the depth range, but it keeps defaulting back to 1500' when I turn it on/off. Also, has anyone gotten the message saying that the GPS cannot locate a signal, but the chart works fine, waypoints work great, etc.

Thanks

Only issue with my HDS 7 out of that list is "GPS cannot locate a signal, but the chart works fine"

I just hit acknowledge, and all is well.

My main issue is shallow water, it won't work in 4 feet or less. I have set ping speed to 'min' and still no go smirk

I have the HDS5 and it does the same thing. I think I read it in the manual that when it displays that message it doesn't have a lock on WAAS. It still has a gps lock just not as accurate as WAAS. You can change the setting in the menu.

It depends on where you mount the unit. If it is out in the open I don't think you would need one. If it is going to be partillay enclosed if might not be a bad idea. I would try it first to see what works. Just my .02. I like my unit a lot. I had a problem with it wanting to restart all the time. But lowrance said a software update would take care of that.

I have an HDS-7 and none of those issues.

I updated the software as soon as I put the unit in my boat.

The only time I've gotten the GPS signal notice was in my garage where it takes a little longer to lock in --- I've never had it out on the water.

An external GPS antenna is not needed. You can network one in if you want, if so be sure to go with the LGC-4000 as it is the high-accuracy antenna ---- if you go with the LGC-3000 you will be spending money for an antenna that isn't needed and may not even be used (the HDS will automatically select the most accurate signal whether from its internal gps or a networked external puck).

I've had no depthfinder issues with my HDS-7, and that's in water as shallow as 2 feet. Make sure you go into ALL of the sonar options and installation menus --- select the transducer that you're using (probably HST-WSBL), put it on 200 khz, and select shallow water or general use mode. Do that for starters, then tweak it as necessary. We were running it on one of the higher number color pallettes, maybe #14 or #15, and it was drawing an awesome picture.

I've had no depthfinder issues with my HDS-7, and that's in water as shallow as 2 feet. Make sure you go into ALL of the sonar options and installation menus --- select the transducer that you're using (probably HST-WSBL), put it on 200 khz, and select shallow water or general use mode. Do that for starters, then tweak it as necessary. We were running it on one of the higher number color pallettes, maybe #14 or #15, and it was drawing an awesome picture.

Awesome thank you.

That is were I have mine mounted and it stills beeps and says no gps fix. But it stills works just fine, ex: waypoints, postion and every thing else. Even double checked it with my handheld. Not to worried about it yet, will see if the updates fix that or not.

I was looking at into getting the HDS-8 as well. The guy at Cabelas told that those units aren't able to read a map chip from either novanics or lakemaster. Might have to wait to upgrade.

I was looking at into getting the HDS-8 as well. The guy at Cabelas told that those units aren't able to read a map chip from either novanics or lakemaster. Might have to wait to upgrade.

Somebody is mistaken, or misunderstood.

That was the first I heard about it. So this must not be true then. I will still wait another few weeks so lowerance can work out there kinks, those units look sweet. Thanks for the reply.

HDS units read Lakemaster cards now, and will read Nav cards when the software update comes out.

There has only been 1 real problem I've heard of with these units so far, and that seems to have been taken care of by a recall. All these other "issues" and "bugs" are mostly set-up problems by the user. The menus are really, really different from the previous Lowrance units. You definately need to select the transducer to get started out on the right foot with these things.

I think you'll be much happier with your HDS units if you bring your manuals along and use them, and take some time to try to learn your electronics. That's true for any electronics but really important for these HDS units because they are so different from previous units.

Just got back from Lake of the Woods. THe HDS7 worked great the first day in the rain. I turned it on the next morning and the Sonar and graph were totally messed up. I had heard that lowrance had some issues with moisture getting in the new units. I was absolutely livid!!! The unit was under a windshield, how could that much water fry the unit!? You'd think a $1000 depthfinder would be semi-water resistant! 1 day and done, come on...

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated to pay that much and get on the water with it for a day and have it [PoorWordUsage] out.