• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seeding ?

LovenLifeGuy

This last weekend I put some seed down in a part of my front yard and after watering it daily I have noticed that a lot of the seed is on the surface. Will it make it into the soil or should I try and rake it in? I power raked the area so the soil is loose. Thanks in advance.

I did quite a bit of seeding last fall and this spring. Got good advice here and at a local feed mill. I ended up with lots of "lost" seed last year, even with raking in. Rains just washed it away, I think.

This year I have "erosion mats" that I got at feed mill, mainly used on hill or slopes... and holy cow, does it work great. Holds the seed in place, keeps moisture longer, protects from those dratted birds (they really do eat a lot of seed! I saw about 30 of them in my yard before the mats were used, eating away) and just keeps the seed from moving.

The mats are kinda spendy at $79 for 135'x8' but I think its worth it, especially if you can't be there every day or if you have ahill/slope. Mine is at cabin. I also got a couple of those Nelson timers that you just screw on the spigot, about $30 each. They have worked well. I have it set to water twice a day for 30 minutes. (I have read reviews where people had them break, but I put those little short pieces of hose with the coil/spring on it, so the timer is not rigid on the spigot, but it can flex and thus not break off.)

Maybe some of that might help, or at least help others who might read this.

I just seeded my entire backyard this weekend, spots along the side and front of my house. Ideally i would have done it in the fall, but it is what it is. I tilled 3 directions, raked and raked, put down starter fertilizer, raked, then seeded heavily with a broacast spreader, and seeded again. i havent noticed any runoff after the rain showers we got yesterday, i keep it wet ant the seed seems to stick to the dirt. i can see some seed at the surface, but i think im still good. I wouldnt worry about it.

i just did a little seeding last weekend to fill in some bare spots that didn't fill in last fall. I am the seed takes root as good as last year, i didn't use a starter fertilizer this year becuase I have a new puppy running around licking and eating everything in site so I thought I would try it without this time. If it doesn't work I'll seed again this fall the right way.