• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bottom Bouncer Reel -- what to use?

BigWadeS

Question

11 answers to this question

I agree with Northlander on the reels. With a "Flippin Switch", you just push the button instead of engaging the reel all of the time when you let out line. I think Quantum and maybe one other manufacturer make reels with the flippin switch.

As far as rods, I like 6' 6" medium to medium heavy rods, depending on the weight of bouncers you use. I don't think you need a high end rod, but you don't want a cheapy, either.

Folks are recommending the Daiwa Megaforce reel with twitch bar as well. I have only played with one in the store, don't know for sure how cool they really are. One handed drop and retrieve does sound sweet!

I use the Accurist PT reels.

Big Wade, how do you like that reel? I'm looking hard at that or the Red Hot. My bottom bouncing reel just died. (The last Cabela's reel I'll ever own) I need to make a decision by the end of next week.

The Megaforce I just "played with" in the store did not drop line with one hand. Awesome how is retrieved with the thumb bar, but still was a two handed process to let line out and re-ingage the reel.

Goose89, I'm pretty sure you can engage the reel after dropping line with the twitch bar. No need to use both hands.

The Flipp'n Switch is the best deal the Bass World ever gave to the Walleye World, or we stole it from them...whatever...it works.

If you straight-line troll cranks and bouncers, they are the Cats Whiskers for making quick adjustments.

If your thinking lead-core, then a traditional line counter reel with a wide chassis has the capacity and width to handle the bulky line best.

Gander in Duluth has Megaforces marked down to $49.99. I picked one up last night. Will give it a try this weekend.

I know they are designed for bottom bouncing jigs and worms, but you would think they would work equally well with a suspending crank like the Shad Rap RS.

Steve