• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on Good Machine

FishinMitch91

do a search here there is alot of good info in past discussions. I bought a 650 Cat a couple of years ago and have never been dissatified. liked the 12" clearance, big gas tank and the 2" receiver hitch, not to mention lots of power.

Best advice is to ride every brand! Decide what cc you want first then ride each machine that is in that range of cc! I did that and went with a Kawasaki brute force 650 but the yamaha 660 was a nice machine too. the kawi had the v-twin and wayyyy more power! But ride them all and ask the dealers what the best machines are!!! If I bought again it would either be a kawi or a yamaha for sure!

heres just my 2 cents ive always owned a polaris and took a cat for a ride wasnt inpressed took can am for ride and was sold tons of power and i means tons excellent ride bought 800 outlander xp its a 2up very nice

I have always owned Polaris. I have had very good luck with them. I really had my heart set on a Can Am when I bought my last one, but they are quite expensive. Settled for another Sportsman.

My only complaint about the Polaris' is the rear suspension. The thing rides awesome without any kind of weight on the back, but when you put something heavy on it (either on the rack or on the hitch), she really squats and the wheels look like this....../ \...... Probably not a huge deal, but stuff like that drives me nuts!

Thanks for all the advice. I want somethin good for towing and hauling stuff around up north but I also don't want a really heavy duty stiff ride. I was lookin at a Honda Rubicon and there Hondamatic transmission sounds like it has a ok reputation. I rode the new Polaris Sportsman XP 550 last weekend and ooo what a ride. Just kinda of certain about certain things with Polaris but I noticed unbelievable improvements in the Polaris category so maybe I should look more that way.

In all honesty, I think you should ride all brands before you purchase. I am set on Polaris, I have onwed Honda and looked at other brands and for the money and what you get for the money, polaris is by far the best bang for the buck. Looks at the polaris forum, you will see that majority of people do own polaris and are very happy. But, ride every brand and make a decision, you will not be sorry if you bought a nice sportsman.

If you are not familiar with any of the new machines, they are all pretty darn nice these days. Go ride every manufacturer and decide for yourself. If you want something for towing and hauling the 2 you listed are ok choices. The Grizzly 550, kingquad 450, brute force 650 are also very nice machines for in or around that price range. Again, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much power you want.

Just another 2 cents......go to any dealer that deals with all brands and I will bet you that 8 out of 10 dealers will say to stay away from polaris! Thats what i was told by numerous dealers anyway! Although i have heard that their new 800 or 850 is a sweet machine! just drive them all and try not to be brand specific!! I personally would never and will never own polaris.....too many bad experiences with myself and others i know!! hondas are verys nice machines though.......the rubicon would be a good option! Can never go wrong with honda!

Well, not to get into another debate on what is better, but I have a polaris and a buddy I ride with has a new rubicon and he wishes he had mine. Better suspension, more ground clearence, better looking and and more power. He even admits that the honda looks like a little toy sitting next to a polaris. His honda reminds me of the powerwheel I just bought my grandson.

If you want a good ride, stay away from any SRA machines, which includes the Rubicon. If you want something that rides comfortably and can tow, look for an IRS quad with adjustable shocks, it will give you the best of both worlds. I used to think Polaris was worthless like many do, but after personal experiences, I would not have a problem buying a Polaris. Just keep an open mind and find the machine that is right for you.