Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spinnerman

charger

8 posts in this topic

what a great site, just joined. Is it ok to keep your on board charger plugged in all the time.

It should be fine. I know mine reduces to a trickel once the batteries are full. I have left them plugged in all winter with no problem.

Welcome to HSO/FM!

Most retailers of todays onboard chargers say that it is OK to leave them plugged in.

Cliff

Welcome to FM.

I've been leaving mine plugged in for the last three years and have no problem. I believe it's correct they go down to a trickle when fully charged.

Do not leave plugged in 24/7/365 for safety reasons. All electrical things can fail.

You also want to check the water in the batteries from time to time.

Katoguy is right about checking water levels. Other than that leave it plugged in when not on the water. Most go into "Maintenence mode" and kick on once they go below like 90% otherwise they just monitor charge levels and are not actually charging.

One thing to remember is to unplug them when you have a lightening storm in your area!!! The CP and I lost our fridge, furnace, tv and yes not to mention the FIRE in my boat due to the on-board when our house was struck by a strike cry. Our house was built in 03 and we got hit in 05. The boat polocy wanted the home polocy to cover it and visa-versa---what a mess!