• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Devil's Lake Fishing Reports

Yesterday was really slow, just two eater walleye, two pike and no perch.

About 4 feet of ice and slow going in places on the lake due to drifts.

The drifts had a hard crust on them and when you broke through you got stuck.

This morning saved the trip!

Fished 6 mile bay, got a limit of walleyes.

Used a small orange jigging rap, at times they just crushed it!

A medium size buckshot in firetiger also took some fish.

All were tipped with a minnow head.

Good luck to everyone headed out there!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stayed at woodland resort fri 14 thru sun16th ,creel bay good fishing and i could have driven my wifes car anywhere i wanted on the lake ....good job guys at woodland ,we had great fishing........

Were headed out at 3 this morning should arrive around 9. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. I know weather is gonna be brutal but trip has been planned for a while. Need to do what we can. I heard creel bay in 30' has some fish and six mile in 45' some bigger one's but that was as of two days ago anything recent would be great. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm also interested in any recent reports. Our group is heading out early saturday morning through tuesday. Will be on devils for the first time so I am excited! Hoping we are still able to get on with pickups with this cold weather coming in.

Anyone have any thoughts on when I can get up there and do some open water pike fishing. We have tried a couple times over the last year but keep missing it. Either ice comes off way earlier than expected like a couple years ago or way late. Any thoughts on this year?

Yeah. That is a bummer. I was really hoping to make a trip out there. But I don't know if late April will work. Any other thoughts on where in the state I may have luck (closer to the east). We really want to hit early season pike on a fly rod out there.

I spoke with Woodland today and they told me between 10 and 12 inches fell with 50+ wind gusts. Reports were most if not all of the landings were dirfted in and "truck travel was not advised unless you don't mind getting stuck."

Fishing is really good right now in most areas of the Devils Lake region. Lots of walleyes and pike are being caught on bobbers, or by casting plastics and cranks.

Here is a look at casting plastics this past week:

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Any recent reports guys? I will be heading to Devils in 9 days. I know a lot can/will change in that time, but would like to hear what's currently working.

We used to make an annual trip in early June to throw cranks into the trees. Catching fish never seemed to be a problem and that was a fun way to target walleye.

Just got back yesterday and did fairly well. Been staying in Minnewaukan last 8 years, but changed up to stay on north shore near Creel Bay area. Struggled to find walleyes in that area with a NW wind, just LOTS of northerns. Drove west to Minnewaukan landing at Round Lake and did well. Also went south to New Mill Bay area at the end of the towers and did well. Also heard people were doing well on north end of 6 mile bay under the towers. Leeches or crawlers with spinners, or leeches on plain red hook snell. Pay attention to water temps. North shore was still in the 50's while Round Lake or New Mill area was in the mid 60's. They want the warmer water. Did not appear as though the fresh water shrimp was plentiful yet. Think the water needs to warm for them to hatch, then slip bobbers in the timber will pick up. We did not have luck slip bobbering.

I just got back from a week stay. We launched out of Grahams Island. We did a lot ot trolling and had few takers, then only small eyes and hammer handles. We switched to slip bobbers in about 13-15 feet and it was like hitting a light switch. 4 people in the boat and we limited out on 15-17 inchers in about 2 hours. The eyes were very touchy about jig color with blaze orange jigs the big preference, any switch in color would take you out of the game or slow down you take rate. Big pike were abundant, I boated several in the 7-10 lb range. Several follows were in the 35+ inch range, They were going after the eyes we were reeling in. One took a 13 inch eye I was reeling in like it was a small shiner. Overall the week was a Blast!