• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knuckle-Busting Pull-start - Any way to fix?

ThunderLund78

I have an Evinrude 25 hp. from the 80s. It's been absolutely bullet-proof for as long as I've owned it. It still runs great, but early last year it killed while it was still in forward gear when the engine was cold. It's done this before with no issues, but after this particular instance, the pull start has become a knuckle-buster about every third pull. It used to pull smooth on every attempt, now sometimes it will pull about 1/4 of the way and it's like the piston hits a brick wall. If I'm not paying attention, you can probably hear me screaming expletives across the lake. Any idea what caused this and if there's anything I can do to fix this?

Check the neutral safty lock. Look on the aft side of the starter and flywheel. you should see a black lever that pivots into the flywheel. Follow it back. You also shouldnt be able to to advance the throttle past a certain point either. If that is slightly out of adjustment, that lock will go into the flywheel as well.