• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MAX HP Rating

redogman67

I have a 1973 14' forester trihull that says the max hp motor is 30hp. I have a 25 hp on it now but lower unit is done for. So I have an opportunity to buy a 1979 johnson 35 hp with controls for $500. Do you think going 5 over the max horesepower would cause much of a problem, I cant see how it would but, i am no expert grin . and does it seem like a decent deal?

If I am not mistaken, the 25, 30 and 35 hp johnson/rude motors of that vintage are about all the same. I have a '96 25hp rude, and it is basically the same as the 35 of the older motors. Rated at the prop, that 35 is probably less power than a 25 of today, or pretty close.

That said, they have the ratings for a reason, and I could not recommend going over it... but.... wink realistically there is no difference... IMHO...

Yeah I can't really see how it could be too dramatic of a difference, but just wanted some more opinions because its an older boat I am a bit worried about the transom strength but I bet they figured in some room for error when they rated it 30hp, I doubt they would rate it at the very edge of what it could handle safely. I think I will prob go for it if it turns out to be decent(haven't seen it yet, but told its clean)

one thing I forgot to ask, the guy said its coming off of a 16' boat so I am assuming the spot that the controls were mounted on his boat will be farther of a distance from the motor than would be on my 14' boat. In other words I am assuming the cables will be a bit longer than needed. This shouldn't effect performance of the cables will it? I am thinking that because the cable is fixed in place at the controls and at the motor the amount of slack in between shouldn't matter(I am not expecting to have a crazy amount of extra cable, just that it will prob slightly loop towards the floor in the middle) SO what I am asking is, the cables don't have to be pulled tight from motor to controls to work right?

@ Ralph,

Yeah I am aware of this but I don't really feel like its making it dangerous to me or others so I am willing to risk a ticket, especially because I never really see the dnr. And I can always play dumb if all else fails haha. Appreciate your concern though

Playing dumb isn't a valid defense but your risk is yours to a point....if you are alone in the boat.

In reality it goes without saying that the boat is probably designed to handle a bit more than the 30hp rating and you may be able to get by using the 35 on there but ratings are there for a reason. It's a safety net and not to be an inconvenience. The weight, length, width, displacement, and hull design are all part of the calculation that determines a boat's rating for load and horsepower. Once you exceed that rating you are increasing your risk beyond a reasonable level.

There will be those that will say, my boat is rated for XX and use a YYhp rating but then ask yourself this question.

If I have been backing out of my driveway onto a busy street every morning for the past year and I have never had to wait for a car, it it therefore safe to assume that there will be no car and I can now do it without looking first?

Bob

If you are ever checked or ever in an accident you will have a way higher likelihood of being found negligent in the incident because your motor is over the rating for your boat.

While I agree a lot of things have changed over the years, sticking to the motor hp rating as posted on your boat is still a good thing to do, especially if you're re-powering. Keep looking.

marine_man