• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Won't retreive ducks

B. Amish

I have a three year old female chocolate lab that is a great dog

the problem wiht her is that when i take her duck hunting and she has to retreive a duck, she will only bring it to shore and not all the way to me. And if if the duck falls on land, she will only sniff it out and will not even pick it up.

How would i go about correcting this problem? And i don't have money for a training colar.

Force Fetching. A good book that helped me is "Hey pup, fetch it up." by Bill Tarrant. All the books by Richard Wolters are good as well I think.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

Force fetching a dog is more to make them fetch when you want not when they want. It sounds like your dog loves the tennis ball and it is on her terms. Force a dog right and it will pick anything up whenever YOU want them to, no matter what it is. It is one of the greatest tools you can teach your dog. Then teach a "hold" command and they will hold whaterver they fetch until you tell them to release. Good luck.

thanks for the replies, i did a internet search and i think i have a handle on the problem now

but, being that she is three yrs old, is it too late to teach her to force fetch

[This message has been edited by B. Amish (edited 04-13-2004).]

I had my yellow retrieving ducks from a slough at 7 mounths, used the Water Dog edition for Richard Wolters i think is his name, great book, I dont a a gree with some of the discipline suggestions though, but some where between training, work, family, and self existance, I forgot the hold command and it's haunted me ever since. Boar